Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Effects Rack Case purchase - guidance requested [1st Post]

VeloDoug

Hello all... after many months of pestering from my big bro (mdrs, "eye cutter", "Doc") and dealing with problems registering with the website, I am finally making my first post on the forum.

So, let's get to my request for your opinions and experience:

I currently have the following items in my 4 space rack:

[1] Monster Power PRO 2500 Rack PowerCenter

[2] TC Electronic G Major

[3] BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

I don't have room for my Weber MASS 100 speaker attenuator which I'd like to start using at my band's rehearsals to try and keep my Mesa Mark IV at a reasonable volume.

So, I need a bigger rack and wanted to get something a little more permanent than what I have now. On eBay, I discovered this 10 space shock mount for much less money than what I've seen on the other retail websites.

Does anyone have advice for me regarding the important attributes I should be looking for to make sure it is of decent quality? So far, I like the following attributes:

[1] it has front and back rails,

[2] plywood construction,

[3] large wheels,

[4] should support the weight of my heavy combo amp,

[5] has room for adding new items, and

[6] would stand up to a plane flight to CO to jam if I ever thought I needed to bring it (however unlikely that is).

Is there anything else I should care about?

OK.... just to add a wildcard to the discussion, I have been considering selling my my Mark IV and getting a Mesa Stiletto Ace head and 4x12" cab. While the more traditional rack like the one above would still work out fine, I did notice this interesting case that houses both a head and had a 6 space rack. I love the idea of having fewer wires to hook up and break down at rehearsals and gigs but am worried that it may be somewhat limiting with only 6 spaces and that it is so 'specialized' that a change in equipment down the road may make this a bit of an albotross.

Anyway, I anxiously await to hear your stories and comments.

--Doug, Doc's other brother....

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there anything else I should care about?

Pay attention to the overall weight of this rack. I recently split my 8 space rack into two 4 space racks because it was way too heavy. I couldn't get it up stairs by myself.

I did notice this interesting case that houses both a head and had a 6 space rack.

This case weighs 60 pounds by itself. With a tube head & several rackspaces of gear, this thing will be a monster to tote. How are you supposed to get the case up on the stand?

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

you can forget putting this on an airplane with gear installed. It will likely be heavier than they will accept under the strict, current regulations on size and weight.

I had to bring 2,000lbs of overage with me on 13 commercial flights to the middle east on an armed forces entertainment gig in march, 2002. That was before the TSA & size/weight limit reductions.

This seems to be a quality product, but be careful of the hype. The guy in the video goes to great pains to compare their 3/8" plywood to the "big name" product that uses 5mm (approx. 1/4") marine grade plywood. (The bigger is better approach.) I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure they use thinner ply in the "big name" for the weight savings and marine grade for increased strength and rot resistance. Plywood and other materials in boats are subjected to constant vibration and bashing when used as raw materials for hulls and bracing. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Doug,

First advice: what Scott and Neil said.

Second advice: don't listen to whatever big brother Don says too seriously ;) :grin: !

And welcome to the forum (it's about time you join in :rolleyes: )!

Rhino

LMAO!! I told Doug he'd make some good friends here!!!

There are a lot of guys here who play out regularly. I suspect you'll continue to get good advice.

Rhino.....Doug has been exposed to my gibberish for a long time. His skin must be as thick as a Rhino's by now!! :grin:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Welcome, Doug! Don's told us of your eventual arrival, along with several really embarassing stories of your childhood.......just kiddin'!http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/Smileys/image20.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Thanks everyone! Definitely good advice all around. I think I'm going to go with a standard rack instead of that head/rack combo.

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

Archived