Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Standard Jazz V (Mex) ---pickup replacements

rizzo9247

I'm new to bass customization scene, and I know the mass amounts of ways to customize a fender, but I am not sure where to start. I like my 5 string jazz but want to change my pickups due to the nasty buzz that comes stock w/ the single coils. I generally play a lot of rock music and i'm wondering if you guys had any special tastes in replacement 5-string pickups. Thanx

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2001 MIM Jazz V Deluxe (currently waiting on a new Fender neck) that has the same buzzing issues. I recently emailed Fender to see if the new noiseless pickups that they currently put in their US Jazz V Deluxe basses would fit in the old MIM. They replied a few days later and said that they would fit without any modifications. So if you like the Fender sound but don't like the buzz, then this is probably your easiest and best option. I think a set goes for around $150, you might be able to score some off eBay for less.

I think most manufacturers make pickups that will fit, or fit with a little modification. I can't say that I have a preference towards one brand or type, they all sound different depending on what bass they are placed into, the electronics and person playing the instrument. It's very hard because you can't easily "test drive" different pickups in your bass, you may end up paying a lot of money for a bad combination. Once again I personally think the Fender noiseless are your best bet.

Oh... and welcome to the Lowdown!

I put Lindy Fralin p-ups in my MIM 5-string and couldn't be happier. They're loud and growly and sound great through my sansamp. I've also used Basslines soapbars in a kit bass i put together and a pj configuration in my Aerodyne and they sound pretty good. I'm rather compulsive about tweaking my basses. My wife always asks why I don't just buy it the way I like it, but what fun would that be?

peace,

ransom

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

Personally I would keep it all Fender. There is nothing wrong with a MIM "As Is" but If you want to up-grade, Go with the Fender Noiseless pickups. That is the main difference between in MIM and USA models anyway.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived