Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Six String Fretless -> Pedulla Hexabuzz

Gruuve

But it still *feels* neck heavy to me...not exactly sure why yet, maybe I've just gotten used to the incredibly light neck and the perfect balance of the Steinberger. But, for the price these Pedullas sell for, it ought to be absolutely positively perfectly balanced...in my not-so-humble opinion. In their price range, I guess I just expect extreme attention to detail.

Physics get in the way here; 6 tuners on a headstock are tough to deal with unless you add a signficant amount of weight on the body.

Gravity is a harsh mistress.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Physics get in the way here; 6 tuners on a headstock are tough to deal with unless you add a signficant amount of weight on the body.

Indeed!

Just strapped on my Tobias to compare...it's quite heavy for it's smaller body size but feels so very well-balanced. I believe most of what I'm feeling as lack of balance in the Pedulla is just the inertia of the neck mass. I never thought I'd even notice things like this. :freak: (Don't worry though, I won't be starting any study of polar moment of inertia on basses! :crazy:;) )

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK, I'm passing this guy on to more capable hands. I haven't been able to decide whether I like the Pedulla's tone better or the Steinberger's tone better (although I think I'm leaning just slightly toward the Steinberger). Any way you cut it, both are just phenomenal. But, the Steinberger makes me want to pick it up and play it....I don't get quite the same yearnings for the Pedulla...I guess that's my sign, right?

I wish that neck was just a little less wide, and it was just a little better balanced!

I had posted a sell/trade feeler on Talkbass...a fellow came by and played it, and decided he wanted it. We agreed to a price that covers exactly what I have in it, so this was essentially a free extended audition. He's not local, but sending a deposit and will pickup and pay the remainder in a couple or three weeks. And he doesn't mind if I play it until he picks it up. Cool. I may try to just get this on disk just for reference.

Anyway, I know know that if I indeed do want to go to a 6-string fretless, probably my best choice would be a Zon (the Steinberger and the Zon sound remarkably similar). Slightly less wide neck on the 6-string, and according to anecdotal evidence a generally more comfortable neck profile for less-than-gargantuan hands. And, Zon can make a 6-string out of a 5-string neck and body as well (as I understand it, they have done this for Todd Johnson). That would be an expensive option though...I prefer to buy used, but who knows...if I just keep an eye out I may spot a 5-to-6 Zon used within a reasonable time period. In the meantime, I've got the Synapse and will make good use of it!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived