Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When you first started playing...

rgordon83

I heard the Animals playing "House of the Rising Sun" and just had to learn how to do that. I found a guy who knew how to play it, and had him diagram the chords for me, and worked for what seemed like forever to learn how to play them without pausing between chords to move my fingers. When I got that together, I got the sheet music for "Gentle On My Mind", and repeated the process. Then I got a Beatles songbook, and worked on a few more. I started noticing similarities in the progessions chords went through from one song to another. Then I started figuring out songs off of records by ear and found more similarities, which in turn made it easier to figure out songs off of records. Then I figured out the lead break to Jimi Hendrix's "Hey Joe" and found a pattern on the neck that you could use to play lead breaks. Then I found out there were interlocking patterns all up and down the neck.

That's how I started, and I have been working on it for more than 40 years.

Hmmm.

I always figured I'd be better than I am by now...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started by reading every thing I could on the internet. This site really helped me. http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200e.htm

Then I learned about tabs and found this site.

http://www.azchords.com/

So I purchased a Led Zeppelin book w/tabs. I came across this forum via GP.com and someone here turned me on to Fretboard Logic, great book btw, and so here I sit with sore finger tips. The hardest thing for me is the bar cord.... some day I will master the F cord :rawk:

all chucks children are out there playing his licks

*Bob Seger

Late to this thread.

When I was in college my brother found a cheap acoustic in a storage area. When nobody claimed it he took it for his own. I borrowed it and learned a few chords and then sold it to a friend for $10 (what a great brother I am). About 6 months later I bought a Yamaha Eterna acoustic at Service Merchandise for $160. I learned about 3 chords. About a year later after I was graduated I got a roommate who had a Gibson acoustic and he was just a little better than I was. We went nuts, playing 2-3 hours a night and many Saturdays. We met a guy who played bass and another one who was a drummer and formed a very unserious "band". Within six months we were playing at parties, my buddy was lead and I was rhythm.

The rest is history. I never would have advanced beyond those seeming millions of folks who know 2 or 3 chords on a guitar if it hadn't been for my roommate. We literally LIVED music for about 18 months. We played a lot, drank way, way too much beer, and went to see a lot of live bands just so we could watch the guitarists hands. We bought hundreds of CDs (this was well before downloading) and even wrote a few songs. Looking back, it was just about the best 18 months a 24 year old guy could ask for. And I got to be an OK guitar player at the same time.

Archived