Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Travel guitar?

PBBPaul

I travel a lot these days and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms. I've thought quite a bit about getting an inexpensive travel guitar so I can keep my chops up while on the road.

Does anybody have one of these? Any advice you can offer?

I've looked at this one and it looks great but a bit pricey for what I want it for.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Yamaha/PR/SLG100S-sm.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't own one, Paul, but I've checked them out a bit at music stores and I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. The Silent Violins seemed to be better quality overall than the guitars, and my personal opinion is the nylon string version is better quality than the steel string. I, of course, was most interested in the steel string version. :rolleyes:

I haven't played one in a long time, so it would still be worth looking into. They do break down into a small package, that's for certain. (The upper body piece, as shown in the pic, separates without need of tools.

Sound wise I was impressed with the violin (with someone else playing, mind you) and the nylon string guitar. I don't think I've ever plugged the steel string in. It seemed a waste of time given the poor playability. I knew I'd never be happy with those.

Of course, YMMV. I'd still check it out if I were you. I'd also suggest checking into a Tacoma Papoose or Taylor Baby. Both are best when up tuned a fifth, but if you're not singing with it that won't matter.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I've heard the Silent Series for a couple of sets, and was very impressed. One real nice facet is that you don't need an acoustic amp with it, as it's a solid body. The acoustic voicings were very good, and you can run it through any fx chain you like, and get great electric tone from it. It's definitely a cut or six above the Backpacker style guitars.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Thanks guys. I played a Martin Backpacker a while back and was very unimpressed. It was uncomfortable, poorly set up and sounded not-so-good.

The Go-guitars look interesting. I will be in San Diego next week. If I can get the time, I'll see if they'll let me try one.

I played a Washburn Rover not too long ago and other than going stupidly flat as soon as I bent a note, it wasn't too bad.

How about

Martin Backpacker http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-?sku=512392

$169.99...

This is but one man's opinion, but BLLLEEEECCHCHHHHH! Martin should be ashamed to put their name on this POS.

The sound is awful and it's completely unbalanced towards the headstock. Other than that it makes a piss poor paddle, the only other reason I can think of to pick one up.

Considering the huge difference in sound and relatively small difference in portability, I can't understand why anyone would buy one of these in place or the Tacoma Papoose, Taylor Baby or any one of a number of other, lesser travel guitars on the market.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

How about

Martin Backpacker http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-?sku=512392

$169.99...

This is but one man's opinion, but BLLLEEEECCHCHHHHH! Martin should be ashamed to put their name on this POS.

The sound is awful and it's completely unbalanced towards the headstock. Other than that it makes a piss poor paddle, the only other reason I can think of to pick one up.

Considering the huge difference in sound and relatively small difference in portability, I can't understand why anyone would buy one of these in place or the Tacoma Papoose, Taylor Baby or any one of a number of other, lesser travel guitars on the market.

So aaahh... are you sure about that opinion Neil? :grin:

I own one; bought it from Musician's Friend as a refurb. a few years ago. Payed about 45% of list for it. It's the best 'travel' guitar that I've tried; one that you can carry on to a plane and fit it into the overhead. However, considering the list price Yamaha should've done a better job with the details: tuners, bridge, piezo pickup, nut, neck width at the nut, etc. I would never consider it as a 'main' instrument, let alone my main instrument.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Otherwise, you could just get whatever guitar you like, as long as it has a bolt on neck, and simply unbolt the neck when you're travelling.

That would fold up into a pretty small package and, if you have an electric screwdriver, you can be up and at 'em in a couple of minutes.

All good choices, Geoff. Paul was asking about the Yamaha. I wonder who remembers that most Steinbergers in the gigbag are about the size of a tennis racquet?

All good choices, Geoff. Paul was asking about the Yamaha. I wonder who remembers that most Steinbergers in the gigbag are about the size of a tennis racquet?

Archived