Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dixie Chicken without keyboard

Ross Brown

Our drummer wants to play Little Feat's Dixie Chicken. I am game. The version I have is very strong on keyboard. Anyone out there playing this song and in particular playing it without keys in the band? Can it be done and sound good? I am having trouble hearing an alternative in my head... maybe I am just blocking...

The bass part seems like fun. I am starting to tackle it tonight.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you can pull it off , I saw the Feat do it live . The distinct line or hook is actually the guitar and bass.Billy Payne (keys ) does really give it all the New Orleans bar room flavor with his stride piano .

Here is how you sell it, the guitaist and bassist ,singers all line up like the Rockettes and kick one way then the other on stage all in unison.The tempo is best for this during the bridge soloing part ( which Billy and the horns played) The Feat actually did this and it was great to watch. The song is one you can get the crowd to sing the chorus and get them involved

Thanks Paul. I have a feeling that if this one goes over, that the drummer will be pushing for more. A favorite of his. We try to play songs that each of us likes.

I worked on it last night. I like it.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

The 'tones used to do DC as a 6-piece (keys, 2 guitar, drums, me on bass and a singer), along with Fat Man in the Bathtub and a couple others, but we lost our singer and keyboardist over the years. Literally, we just misplaced them. We still leave a lamp in the window and check the shelters regularly.

Be that as it may, as a 4-piece, we still did a bunch of Feat and Steely Dan tunes as well - they just needed to be reworked. If anything, they went over better than the 'original' versions we used to do, since they didn't sound as much like the originals. Same drive, same changes, but a different dynamic completely. Funnily enough, the crowd eats it up.

I'd say go for it.

peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Oh cool...I haven't heard that song in years...may have to go buy a Little Feat CD now that you got me thinking about it...

Good luck with it Ross!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Waiting for Columbus was my favorite album for a long time and still ranks up there . Little Feat with Tower of Power live. :thu: Two of the best unknown bands in the land at that time.

And as mentioned before ,I went and saw the tour live . Best concert I have ever been to.

One of my favorite bass grooves was Kenny Gradneys intro and soloing to Spanish Moon.

My trio is doing "Dixie Chicken" right now. It helps to nail the vocals. That famous piano double-stop line sounds just as good on a guitar. Otherwise, we just play it like it's a Hendrix power trio song with a tighter bottom line.

Not to say we wouldn't love to have some whiskey-soaked piano on it, but it can be done. Piano players may bitch about it some, but they can get up there and play it with you if they don't like it.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Waiting for Columbus was my favorite album for a long time and still ranks up there .......(snip).....One of my favorite bass grooves was Kenny Gradneys intro and soloing to Spanish Moon.

+1. If it was possible to wear out a cd, I'd have done it with this one.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived