Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh...and my carrier is definitely a mail man. If he's replaced by a woman I'll call her a mail woman or mail person or mail female or whatever she likes. I'm not going to step on my own balls for the sake of other people who act like they're offended that I referred to another hetero self-identifying male as a man. If he tells me he wants to be identified in neuter terms, that's fine. But until then...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe not too much OT. Last nite I played on a HUGE show, the Xmas party of what is probably the biggest FM network on the country. I had the chance to share the stage with some well-known names of our national music industry (such as the legendary pop-rock band "Aditus", now powered with old friends of mine in a Brass section, such as Rodolfo Reyes (Sax) and José Ramoncini (Trumpet), and "Pocho" Serra on guitar, also played "Los Amigos Invisibles" (Venezuelan-gone-international band, currently signed to Luaka Bop records) , of which two of them were students of mine back in ... I won't tell :P, and also a Reggaetón duo (dunno-who and dunno-who-else, I just can't remember) with whom was playing an old friend of mine and former band colleague -his other band, his own project, is a Dream-Theater-like prog-rock band, mind you!- ).

Right after us jumped onstage (with his orchestra) a man who is known around here as a "Legend" of the EUB.. most exactly, the Ampeg Baby Bass, one of the most famous Venezuelans in the world, and a prominent Salsa musician: OSCAR DE LEON. Does anybody around know him? He's a sweet guy, polite and an absolute delight to share backstage with. And a titan on stage, period. It was a honor to share stage and backstage time with him.

Here a video I found on YouTube, of a song he wrote dedicated to his Bass.. "Mi Bajo y yo" (My bass and me), which states that "My bass and me are just like brothers... ". Wouldn't any of us say such a thing about our instruments? Here it is.

[video:youtube]

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

You can tell it's hunting season here. My neighbor(s), for some strange reason, field dresses his kill in his back yard. My 18 lb terrier sees this as way better than Dad's Lamb and Rice dry food. She eats her fill, which is equivalent to putting four pounds of shit in a two pound bag. Then she barfs it all up, and always on the carpet. So glad I have a wet-dry shop vac. Dunno how we ever had pets before these things came around.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I just bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-5-string-fretless-bass-neckthough-no-hardware_W0QQitemZ170419175589QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item27adc640a5

I have great plans for it. Will post a new thread when it's done, along with where the hardware came from......

Question; should I set it up as a 34" or 35"? It'll be strung with a high C, so I'm leaning 34".

• 3 weeks later...

So a week or two ago I started having pain in my right thumb. I recently started working for a general contractor and it's kicking my sorry butt back into shape. Between strenuous hammer swinging, holding heavy nail guns and drills at odd angles and all sorts of other stuff I've also been working a lot on my slap technique. One of my room mates is a physical therapist and informs me that it's tendonitis...in my thumb! Who does that?!?

Fortunately most of the work I've done in the last week or so has been demo so I don't have to aim the hammer when I'm knocking holes through walls so I've been using my left hand as much as possible. We've also had the last two weeks off of band rehearsals due to everybody traveling for the holidays since we didn't have anything booked so I've laid off the slap as much as I can.

My thumb hurts most when I first wake up and the gf tells me I have a weird habit of popping my knuckles while I'm asleep (when I wake up half way to roll over or something). So I've rigged something up with a thing about the size of 1/2 a roll of quarters and an ace bandage where I put the roll between my thumb and forefinger and tie down my thumb at night so it's not extended or flexed. It's been feeling a bit better the last few days so I'm hoping I've got it almost beat. Only thing is that work goes back full swing tomorrow and rehearsals start back up Tuesday. I hope I can keep my thumb on the mend...

I need to type.

Last wed. night the manager/optician of the store I work in died. 41 years old. I liked him very much, and enjoyed working with him. Talents? Sure. But what set him apart from the bazillion other managers and opticians I've worked with is that he gave a shit. All you really have to do in life to make a difference is give a shit. Simple, isn't it? I will miss him both personally and professionally. And I'm pissed. I wish he gave a little more of a shit about himself.

I'm sorry to hear that Paul, but it's the sad reality that the ones who care the most about those they serve also tend to put themselves at the most risk.

Of all the chemists and biologists and technicians I've had the pleasure to work with (in the Public Health arena), most have held their responsibilities and obligations above that of their own health and well being.

There's no reward for that, but you and I know that they would not (and could not) have wanted it any other way.

My thoughts go out to his family and to those (like yourself) who appreciated him and his work and efforts.

Sincerely,

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

hmmm. I may have to make a trek down and try out that BX1500.

I tried the BX500. It was cold and lacked balls.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Paul - sorry about your friend.

Funny about the Carvin being "cold". I felt that way about the first Acoustic Image amp I tried. Later I realized that it would take very little (like a SansAmp pedal) to warm the thing up.

Let us know how the new stuff sounds.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Evidently this earthquake in Haiti is a pretty big deal, made worse no doubt by the crappy infrastructure. I've flown over Haiti a bunch of times on the way to Aruba. Looking down from the plane it's bizarre how the Haitian desert brown landscape turns to a lush green right at the Dominican Republic border. Ouch. Those people are gonna be hurting even more than usual.

And on a lighter note, wow that Cardinals game was exciting on Sunday. I don't follow football much, so I hope that those well informed would please let me know if the offenses were that good or if the defenses were that bad.

Looking down from the plane it's bizarre how the Haitian desert brown landscape turns to a lush green right at the Dominican Republic border. Ouch. Those people are gonna be hurting even more than usual.

Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. You want to read an incredibly inspiring book, try "Mountains Beyond Mountains," by Tracy Kidder. You want to donate to help the perennially unfortunate and destitute Haitians, go to pih.org (Partners in Health).

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.