Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Overtones caused by new strings on new bass?

Vistajohn

Bass Dudes,

On an impulsive moment (I know nobody here has done this before, not) bought a Carvin "Bunny Brunel" Fretless bass. Nice bass, but, I brought it home tonight and when I play it I am noticing the strings I am not playing to vibrate and create an overtone (best I can describe it). This bass has 3 pick-ups. Two in standard position and it also has magnet pickups on the bridge. Which makes me think this might be the cause. I can turn down or turn off this pick-up and I can still hear this sound though. I also wonder if it could just be new strings, I don't change mine very often so that might be something I'm not familar with. Any one else notice what I am describing? I normally play a Fender P.Bass, no problem with overtones, nice clean note for note sound. Thanks for any imput.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From your description, I'd say the most likely explanation is that you're not muting the unplayed strings sufficiently. Any bass, with any kind of strings, will make that sort of noise if the strings aren't being muted.

You can do a search here to find some threads on string muting techniques. Roughly, I (& lots of people) use a two-part method. When I'm moving from lower to higher strings, I have the thumb of my right (plucking) hand follow & mute the lower strings. When I'm moving from higher to lower strings, I have the fingers of my left (fretting) hand mute the higher strings. With practice, it all becomes second nature after a while. I hope this helps!

DCR,

Thank you for your advice. I know I have read in this forum before about string muting. I suppose with the instruments I've used, muting has not been an issue. I think I remember something about putting something under the strings (cloth or sponge?)as another option. I have been using my palm as a mute and that seems to work.

In any case I'm somewhat relieved, the bass has a beautiful tone and I"m looking foward to making some fun music with it.

J.

I had a friend who experienced a similar problem with a Carvin bass -- turned out to be a bad preamp.

You should get it checked out while it's still under warranty.

Good luck with that, though -- Carvin customer service is atrocious.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I had a friend who experienced a similar problem with a Carvin bass -- turned out to be a bad preamp.

You should get it checked out while it's still under warranty.

Good luck with that, though -- Carvin customer service is atrocious.

I've always had very good experiences with Carvin customer service in the past, both on the phone and at the Covina store. I have heard some bad stories about dealing with their salespeople on the phone, but for warranty repairs and service after a purchase, I've never had a problem. I've always been very happy with Carvin's customer service.

Since Vistajohn is in San Diego, I'd guess he's dealing with the Carvin factory store, and not the phone service people. Even if he bought it on-line, I would suggest that he take it to the store and ask them for an opinion about the sound he's hearing. It could be a lot of things, and it's impossible to diagnose from hearing a description in a forum post.

Ed

Ed,

You are correct, I did go down to their San Diego Store, I believe its in Poway. I will be playing a couple of gigs this weekend and I am going to take the bass along for a test drive. If there are any issues I will be going back to the store. I might add, they were very helpful and I don't think they would be nothing but helpful but, we will see...

J.

To follow up on my problem with overtones... I played 2 gigs with my Carvin Fretless and I am happy to report, no problems at all. I think it was a matter of a new owner and a wife with critical ears! Anyway, I "love" this bass, great sound with real "character". If I can figure out the correct way to post a picture or two, here goes:

www.waterwasher.hypermart.net/carvinfretless2.gif

and a picture of the family...

www.waterwasher.hypermart.net/3-basses-002.gif

Thank you guys for your help. It might seem trivial but ya know sitting there with a new instrument and wanting an "unbiased" opionion about what I percieved was a problem, it was nice to have this forum to go to!

I've always had very good experiences with Carvin customer service in the past, both on the phone and at the Covina store. I have heard some bad stories about dealing with their salespeople on the phone, but for warranty repairs and service after a purchase, I've never had a problem. I've always been very happy with Carvin's customer service.

Well here's my tale of woe. Two years ago, I sent my LB75 to the factory for a rebuild after the trussrod broke. This was an out-of-warranty repair, so it was on my dime. I called in advance to line things up for my order, gave them my credit card number, and confirmed when the bass arrived at the factory -- was told it would be four-to-six weeks for the rebuild.

Four weeks later, I call to check in -- they tell me oops, they never processed my order. It will be ANOTHER four to six weeks.

A month or so later, my rebuilt bass arrives, but is not set-up properly -- some of the strings are flat at the 12 fret and the saddles are run all the way out -- no room for adjustment.

I call them and they authorize return for repair. I send it back, wait a few weeks and they tell me the bass can't be repaired -- they'll need to do ANOTHER rebuild and I'll have to wait ANOTHER four-to-six weeks.

A month later, I call to check, and they tell me, oh, didn't have to do a rebuild after all, your bass is all set, you should have it in about a week.

Bass arrives, and it STILL isn't set up right -- it's intonated now, but still no room for adjustment on the saddles. I call them and they tell me, oh, it's SUPPOSED to be set up that way. I tell them I'm not buying it, and they say tough darts, farmer, we're not doing anything else on it.

I sold the bass last year, and I will NEVER buy another Carvin product. They are dead to me.

Jcadmus,

Wow, what a story! I feel your pain. I don't think anyone can blame you for your decission about not using Carvin again. Sounds like you did everything you could to help the process along and it still didn't go right. That would piss me off too!~

So.. I guess this will end up being a comment on Carvin. Again, my new Bass is "beautiful", sounds and feels great, and I am very pleased with it. Did I get great customer service? I suppose, but again, I'm buying not getting a repair, hopfully no one will have to go through what you did.

Glad you like it, VJ -- I really liked my Carvin gear too until that experience. Anyone can screw up, but this was like dealing with a clown college.

With any luck, you'll get many years of playing enjoyment out of your new bass.

Archived