Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got to meet Dr Lonnie Smith last night

Byrdman

We went to see him at the Blue Monk here in Portland. If you get the chance, go see him.

On set break he came over and chatted. A thoroughly nice guy as well as a monster player.

He was doing a jazz gig - would have liked to hear him funk but it wasn't that kind of band.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr. Lonnie is indeed a wonderful man and superb player. My friend Moe Denham -- http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?storycode=12918 -- broke his right hand in October and his recovery was greatly accelerated when he received heartfelt encouragement from Dr. Lonnie, who'd once broken his right hand and told Moe he'd recovered full use of it in time.

I'm very happy to hear that Lonnie is out and sharing his talent, as I believe he went through some health problems in recent years. Lonnie was through here (Colorado) this past summer.

He is a very great jazz man, and his style is a highly refined mix of jazz and blues which is accessible to both jazz and blues fans who may not usually 'crossover' into other realms. (Damn, I sound like a critic.)

I hope he'll be back through here soon.

By the way, another great organist who's style is similar to Lonnie Smith's, Reuben Wilson, is playing here with Grant Green this week.

regards,

--kwgm

Archived