Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Magicstomp and Preamp incompatability

Paul K

Ladies and Gentlemen

I've a Symetrix SX201 preamp/paramentric EQ unit. When I plug the mono out of my Magicstomp into the +20dB gain input, the preamp's red "clip" LED lights up, which shuts down the input signal. Input is too hot you say? Well, it does this even with the volume control on the Magicstomp all the way down to zero. If I plug the 'Stomp into the 0dB gain input it works fine, but then I have to crank up the 'Stomp's output to get the signal hot enough for the poweramp. When I use my Zoom 506 pedal instead of the 'Stomp, either input on the preamp functions as advertised. Putting an Aphex Bass Exciter between the 'Stomp and the preamp doesn't have an effect on the overload situation. All this is with unbalanced 1/4 inch jacks; the preamp will accept TRS balanced jacks, but I've just got good ol' XLR's in my parts bin to experiment with.

I have accepted that this is just the way it is. But the anal-retentive part of me (No, sir. That's just "attention to detail...") would really like to know why. Anybody have any ideas, theories, or insider knowledge as to why this is happening?

Peace and Love

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both the +20dB and 0dB inputs of the Symetrix unit work flawlessly under all other conditions (bass straight in, Zoom 506 pedal, output from my ART Tube Pre; but of course it's louder when using the +20dB input.) The only time the overload LED lights up is when my Magicstomp output is plugged into the +20dB Symetrix input, even when the 'Stomp's volume control is all the way down. No problems if the stomp is plugged into the 0dB input of the Symetrix. All using unbalanced connections. The Bass Exciter has a balanced XLR out, but the Symetrix unit has TRS balanced input and I don't have a TRS-to-XLR adapter.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived