Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G&L Tribute ASAT

teleman65

I played a G&L Tribute ASAT Special and while it looked good my hopes for it were dashed by the poor build quality. The frets weren't finished very well, the pickguard was buckled by the way the screws were put in wrong. It just didn't feel right. Small details but if G&L are going to sell a budget version of their gear and claim the quality control is just as good but Korean they need to get it right.

Has anyone had a good experience with these guitars because they're nice looking and I like the pickups on them but you still need playability.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tribute Legacy I saw was excellent. One of the best feeling necks I've ever felt. In fact, had the Godin Freeway Classic had the slightly thicker neck of the Tribute, I would never have sold it.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I've played a Tribute that my friend has in his store several times and it is an excellent looking, playing, and sounding guitar. The workmanship is also first rate. Perhaps the one you played had been abused or maybe was a FAKE! its possible I guess.
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

I played one of a coworkers once and it was slightly better than what you described, but I still wasn't that impressed. It lacked tonal character more than anything, and like you said, the frets needed desperately to be dressed.

I find those same two critiques in many cheaper guitars these days, especially with the frets. About the only Korean company that has quality control seems to be Epiphone, and even they sometimes tend to slip. I'm not a nationalistic guy about economics or anything, I just want a guitar that plays well.

I don't even mind putting some work into it, but if it's gonna cost me more than a few hundred dollars for the guitar and I have to put 25 to 50 percent of the price of the guitar into it to make it sound good, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Shut up and play.

The store I tried the Tribute G&L ASAT Special wanted $800 CDN + tax + buying a case. I didn't think it was worth what they wanted and they weren't interested in even doing a setup(I can do it myself but I was curious what they'd do for a sale). The salesperson wasn't very helpful and didn't seem very knowledgeable. Not very much respect that after playing for 30 years I might know a thing or two about guitars.

I've seen the prices are better in the U.S. and if the guitar was better I might consider picking one up south of the border.

That is way too much. You could probably get a used G&L ASAT (not Tribute) for close to that, even with the exchange rate.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by teleman65:

The store I tried the Tribute G&L ASAT Special wanted $800 CDN + tax + buying a case.

Caprae's right, that's ridiculous ... my local used instrument store has some G&L guitars - not tributes - used, in excellent condition, for $999 Canadian, and they come with the case. They have a G&L ASAT Classic for $1,099, too.

Archived