Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Volume pedal shootout: Issue?

disaster

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<>

There's a relatively new Ernie Ball model that's smaller than the standard. I'm not sure how much smaller, but it might fit your board a bit better than the big one. I have 3 of the big ones on my board & there's not a lot of room left for much else.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I think it was a few months ago. It wasn't that detailed, but it was interesting.

I use an Ernie Ball Jr. vol pedal (input type) and have always (30+ years) used a volume pedal, but up until a few years ago used one called a "Sho-bud" which was excellent...and lasted.

The Ernie ball pedals are really good except the "tuner out" on them DOES put the tuner in the input chain (parallel) and CAN suck tone. Even the pedal alone does slightly, but it depends most on where in the chain it is.

I use mine at the end of my pedals (where it has much less tone-sucking, on input right after guitar it is way more noticeable) and I like the toggle switch that lets you select taper, meaning if the most volume change happens closer to heel, or toe.

Since I use mine as an overall "master volume" (preferring to use the guitar vol pots for controlling my gain, especially with fuzzes) I am considering getting a vol pedal for the effects loop instead of input...except I have some amps that don't have effects loop.

Anyway, I can't offhand think of the brands, but I DO know that several new volume pedals from other makers have shown up and some of them (more costly of course) are generally considered to be much improved over what has been available til now.

Volume pedals are trickier than they at first seem. There is an art to setting them up, and deciding where in the chain, and to what purpose you want to use them. The perception that they are a "no-brainer" is really not correct.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Archived