Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electric/Acoustic Amp Recomendations

phil_harmonic

I'm looking for a 15-30W amp for my electirc guitar (cheapy squire phat strat), but also want to be able to use it for my Taylor 314CE (ES). The Taylor ES needs a clean channel (no distortion or effects). I see some combo amps mention clean or clear channels but was hoping someone here could narrow down the range of candidates and recommend some amps for me to focus on.

Thanks

"I hate music--especially when it's played" Jimmy Durante

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electric guitar amps have a fairly limited frequency range so their clean channels would not be enough to let your acoustic Taylor shine like it deserves.

If you really need to use the same amp for both electric and acoustic, you should look into keyboard amps/P.A. gear/acoustic guitar amps as those will be able to deliver the full spectrum of your acoustic. You would then get your distorted electric sound (if you need one) via distortion pedals.

Sorry but I can't really help with any particular model suggestion.

I'm sorry to say that you will be disappointed with any electric amp for your Taylor. Electric guitar amps lack the high frequency response found in acoustic amps. Have you ever looked at an acoustic amp? Most have a tweeter, sorely lacking on electric amps. You might find something that is passable, but if you ever play your Taylor through an acoustic amp you'll see what you're missing.

Thanks guys. I concluded that I wasn't going to be able to find one amp to do it all. There's a series of amps designed to do this (Rivera), but they aren't cheap. I rarely plug the Taylor in so I opted to just buy a decent amp for my Electric (cheapy Squire).

I was at GC yesterday and scored a Line 6 Spider II 120W 2x10 amp for a good price out the door ($280) as it was a floor demo of last years model (new ones are the Spider III). It's more amp than I needed, but I got it for less than the 75W Spider III. I probably should have done more research before buying, but wanted something to use over the Xmas break.

This is the amp designed for both Acoustic and Electric:

http://rivera.com/sed-lite.php

This is what I ended up getting:

http://www.line6.com/store/hardware.html?modelID=4

Thanks

"I hate music--especially when it's played" Jimmy Durante

Archived