Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NINJAM anyone?

pauldil

In the Jams post, Emptiness Of Youth mentioned using IM for sharing guitar tips, lessons, etc. Has anyone tried NINJAM ?

I've installed the client and went on a while ago. It's not too bad and is an interesting approach to online jamming. Anyone else try this yet?

Paul

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That looks VERY interesting! I'm reading in right now... oh... I see where it says that it's easier to jam with the client running because mistakes are propgated differently.....WELL!!! I cannot participate because I NEVER make mistakes!! Pauldil and I DO NOT make mistakes and we only PUT UP with other players that do!! Right Paul!!!! :eek::D:thu:

Originally posted by pauldil:

I play jazz, so I can make a mistake and claim I was just playing "outside". :D:D

Paul

After 16 years of listening to me, "outside" is the only place my wife will let me play!!! :(

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

I had tried it several months ago. Actually jammed with some keyboard player that happened to be on the same server and it was kind of fun. Unfortunaltely he only seemed to know 2 chords :D . But still, the potential is there for getting some good stuff going. There's a text area where you can communicate with the other participants. You'd just need to coordinate a time and select a server.

Paul

Ok Emptyness and Paul.. I hope this works ..I can play guitar but I suck at computer stuff so... can't hurt to try, I'll have to take the laptop back to the rehearsal room and use the USB mike on this I guess? OH and I think you are right Red, I think it would take a high speed connection to make it work.

hmm so do you just kick on and wait? bring your own drums? mix in later? can you join in someone elses jam and just listen in? is it ongoing jam.. so you hear what they play and vice a versa, (almost at same time, give or take latency)? sorry trying to figure it out still, you seem to have it down EOY. track turned out good.

*Cool, jumped in for a bit, and some bass palyer was just laying down some funkified grooves! Jammed for a bit, and then was trying to figure out how to talk to this guy if there was away, and then relised you can type in the box in the right side. interaction was almost on the mark. Sooo next question or thing to figure out, recording? just use a sound capture program? or does it have an incorperated one with the ninjam program? and haven't found it? Hmmmm....

Heres basically everything i know so far for anyone having trouble:

1.There are five different servers you can join, which you can find on their site under the jam farm tab

2.When you go to connect in the actual ninjam program you put the address of that server

3.Basically its an open jam and anyone can join, but you can also mute whoever you want, or pan them or turn them down or whatever.

4. Though not very good, there are effects you can add to your instrument provided in the program if you happen to just be plugin your guitar straight in to the pc.

5. There are some options for mixing the audio down. I havent explored too far into this, but the default setting mixes it all down as you play into a folder wherever you installed your ninjam. In order to open these you have to get a seperate program called Reaper and go to that directory and open the "clip log" file. This kinda puts togethers a bunch of files that ninjam saved the audio as and puts them together in the Reaper program where you can do your final editing to the tracks and then mix them down to a wma or wav or whatever.

There are other options that i think let you mix everything down as your playing into a wav or whatever but i havent messed with it too much.

feel free to ask anything else

ryan

mine was pretty constant. Had an issue where I wasn't, but that was a wrong setting I did in the audio setup, while trying to set it up.

Managed to load one of the jams from last night into reaper. 'Holds hand up.. I suck bad!

kk will have to practise my timing, and chord progression and.. oh damn must practise everything!

In ninjam now listening, this hennry guys has some clear progressions happening.

Took about 45 seconds to load the clipsort.log I choose. but that was also a 24min. 11 channel session jam.

Took 11 sec. to import the 8min. jam I was listening to earlier. mind you there was only one channel constatnt and 4 other channels that had nothing.

But as for reaper starting. it's instant. click and it's open.

yea it does. You can set up as many as you want, though id keep it down to two for bandwith reasons. It works just like mixing software, in that, when you select the inputs it lists them just like reason or cubase or whatever would.

Ell, its really easy, the reaper mixdown sofware is a little complicated, but you dont have to touch that.

All you have to do is:

1.Mic up an amp with one of your USB mics

2.Open ninjam.

3. Go to Options tab at the top and select audio configuration. Mine uses Asio, you should know this from running your mics already.

4. You could go to Preferences, also under options, and change how it mixes the tracks down. On mine it has:

"Save mixdown as .OGG 128kps"

"Save multitrack recording for mixing later"

those are both checked. This will do two things, make it an .ogg file, which is like an mp3 but smaller and better quality and it will save it as a clip log file which Reaper uses for multi track editing BUT YOU DONT NEED TO MESS WITH THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO.

5. Connect and choose what server you want (you have to look up on there website whos in what server, under the Jam Farm link)

6. Set you levels and your ready to go, make sure the Transmit box is checked when you want people to hear you.

Archived