Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please recommend albums for a Dream Theater noob

Mass Effect

I've become a big fan of Petrucci after seeing the G3 Tokyo DVD. I'm interested in hearing more of his playing but after looking at the reviews on Amazon.com, opinions are quite varied on their work.

It seems that for each album there are equal amounts of people that hate it and call it their worst or praise it and declare it the best ever.

I figured a guitar focused forum might be a better place to look for opinions on DT albums.

So what are the first 1 or 2 discs I should get?

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Images and words, and awake. start there. You wont be dissapointed

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

It depends. What kind of music do you like? I always tell people start with what sounds good to them, not what sounds good to metalheads or DT fans (such as myself).

Images and Words - Pure prog metal/rock, no other way to describe it.

Awake - Quintessential Dream Theater

Change of Season - A more rock album reminscient of the 70s prog bands, including some covers.

Falling Into Infinity - sort of the weird, almost Pink Floydish DT album, good stuff, but not their best work.

Scenes from a Memory - A metal/rock opera masterpiece; this is still one of my all time favorite albums. Brilliant story, brilliant lyrics, awesome music.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - This is the album to get if you're a blues and jazz fan, but it is great no matter who you are. Some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard was on this record.

Train of Thought - A good steady metal record. Defintely notches above the rest of the metal market, but lacks the energy and sound that is DT. I recommend this for people who grew up on Tool and Pantera, not for people trying to understand who and what Dream Theater is.

Octavarium - This is an interesting and eventful album, though many people felt it was too backward and not really DT enough for DT. I, however, love it and find it to be one of their closest returns to Images and Words.

Remember, one thing that is very cool about DT is that no two albums sound the same. My biggest complaint about modern metal and rock is that if you heard one record you heard them all. This is one of the few bands who knows exactly how to stray from the norm.

Shut up and play.

Well put, Rev.

However - I gotta question your assessment of Six Degrees... - while the second disc is certainly a lot of mellow (and IMO rather pretentious) rock-opera type stuff, the first disc is split 50/50 between balladeering and punishing metal grooves the likes of which we had not (at that point) seen from DT...

Grif -

I understand the punishing metal grooves are in there, as well as some amelodic stuff DT had not really experimented much with, however, I do think Awake had plenty of driving metal riffs that were just as heavy as some of Six... riffs.

Moreover, the first disc is also riddled with carefully-placed 6th and 9th chords which are virtually non-existent in pop metal and even most of the DT records. I have the full score for the album and believe me, if you examine the music note for note, you'll see as much jazz, blues, and even bluegrass as you will metal and rock. You should check that book out, it really gives you a new perspective on DT.

Shut up and play.

Very cool. It's entirely too mentally draining to try and work out a DT song by ear, so I tend to avoid it...

Seems though, as I sit and think about it, that "Disappear" had a great deal of odd chording and melodies.

Just the same, I can't say that I've ever heard DT execute such a bone-crushing series of riffs as "The Glass Prison"...

How is "Score"? It is one of the few that is a complete album on iTunes.

One song (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance) is 41 minutes long ! ! !

Octavarium is 26:38. If only it didn't have the people cheering - that works better with Lyrnyrd Skynyrd.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

And thanks for asking, RC. I, too, fell in love with petrucci's playing from that DVD. I did buy An evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess which is similar to to what he played on the DVD.

Have you looked into Liquid Tension Experiment? Apparently that is John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy from Dream Theatre. No vocals - 100% instruments. Both albums get raving reviews on iTunes.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

The Glass Prison is a nice shout out to Alcoholics Anonymous. Bill W. the guy the song is dedicated to is one of the co founders of A.A.

Someone in Dream Theater had a problem with booze...and it looks like Mike Portnoy wrote it...I like the veiled references to A.A. throughout the music world.

Originally posted by caprae:

And thanks for asking, RC. I, too, fell in love with petrucci's playing from that DVD. I did buy An evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess which is similar to to what he played on the DVD.

Have you looked into Liquid Tension Experiment? Apparently that is John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy from Dream Theatre. No vocals - 100% instruments. Both albums get raving reviews on iTunes.

Yeah, I got the Petrucci/Rudess disc. Nice change of pace from most music being put out these days. Also got Suspended Animation which i like alot.

Thanks for the info on "LTE". I'll have to check that one out.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by caprae:

How is "Score"? It is one of the few that is a complete album on iTunes.

One song (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance) is 41 minutes long ! ! !

Octavarium is 26:38. If only it didn't have the people cheering - that works better with Lyrnyrd Skynyrd.

I don't have it yet. When I said score, I was referring to the sheet music collection from Six.... I did, however, put Score on my Christmas list.

And those long songs kick ass!

RC - LTE is much more like a hybrid of Dream Theater's more technical playing along with the sort of stuff Petrucci played on Suspended Animation. It's not quite as melodic, though I've heard its very cool. I haven't bought it yet, but maybe one of these days I'll check it out in full.

Shut up and play.

Archived