Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I bought my first (and probably only) cheap guitar.

madgrinder7

I bought a bolt-on Epi JR P90...the sunburst one with a cream P90 pickup, made in Indonesia.

It plays surprisingly well. I will let you know more when I do a proper setup with 10's.

I picked it up from the stand to try out a Hot Rod Deluxe amp. The guitar came home and the amp stayed... Still looking for a good Mesa Rectifier-type gain. :cool:

It's official... I'm boned.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got it set up now... took about a 120 degree truss rod adjustment in the end. I got the action right and set the intonation as best I could with a wrapped stop tailpiece.

Best I can describe (I can't post clips because I haven't invested in the materials to do such), it sounds like a Strat middle pickup with a boost. The tone and volume pots are very responsive.

The range of tones from this one pickup is amazing... roll the tone back to four and dime the volume to get a nice "Cream, Sunshine of Your Love" bite. Tone at ten, volume at ten gets a spanky almost Tele sound. Dial the volume back to four or five and get a bell-like Strat tone... very clean and well-defined.

All played through a Trace Elliot Tramp tube combo, sometimes with a TS-8 for extra drive.

I hate the cream cover on the P90... I'm going to try to find a black or chrome dogear cover and jackplate to match.

All things considered, $99 VERY well spent.

It's official... I'm boned.

He threatened to do this last week at our lunch! :D

Congratulations, Brett! If you really want to post some sound bytes we can record 'em direct to my comp here. I have a Korg Pandora we can plug direct. It won't be as dynamic as an amp, but it sounds pretty darn good.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived