Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

long term guitar storage...

owens hound

Hello all,

I did a search and didn't come up with anything so here is my question:

I'll be storing 2 - 3 acoustic guitars for at least 3 years in a storage facility and am wondering what is the best way to prepare the guitars?

Do I take the strings off? What do I need to know about humidity?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definately leave the strings on.

Is the storage facility climate controlled?

I imagine if the guitar is packed securely in a decent case it should be ok.

Be sure not to pack heavy objects on top of your guitars.

Hopefully you will not have drastic temperature changes. If the room/vault is somewhat insulated from the outside environment the wood should fare well.

Be sure it is not subject to any source of moisture or excessive heat or fire.

Thanks Bill. I've been doing it wrong all this time.

I had my steel string in my closet for two years with the string at concert pitch. That's probably how my neck got slightly (very slightly) warped.

No fire, period.

I was assuming you had steel string guitars.

Bill would you recommend slack string for a nylon string/classical quitar as well.

Thanks for the replies Pappy and Billster. I may have a couple of options to where I'll be storing them. As I live in Ontario, Canada, we get temperature ranging from very hot (+39 Celsius) to very cold -39 Celsius). I was planning on putting them with the rest of my stuff in a 'you store it' place that is basically a row of attached garage sized units. The temperature ranges there will be extreme. From what you are saying I think I'll look for other options for storing them in less harsh, more controlled conditions.

Good to know about leaving the strings on. They are all steel string acoustic guitars.

It might not be practical in your case, but I wouldn't store them for any length of time in an environment where I wouldn't be comfortable myself. Especially acoustics. I vote for temp/humidity conrolled and detuned strings. My .02. S.

Originally posted by owen's hound:

...As I live in Ontario, Canada, we get temperature ranging from very hot (+39 Celsius) to very cold -39 Celsius). I was planning on putting them with the rest of my stuff in a 'you store it' place that is basically a row of attached garage sized units. The temperature ranges there will be extreme...

:eek: Do NOT do that!

Originally posted by Steevo:

...I wouldn't store them for any length of time in an environment where I wouldn't be comfortable myself. Especially acoustics. I vote for temp/humidity conrolled and detuned strings. My .02. S.

Bingo! If you're comfortable your guitars will likely be as well so long as the humidity stays at or around 35% to 45%.

I worked at Gibson Customer

Support for 3 months and received a significant number of calls from people who had stored their instrument, long term, in the case only to open said case and find a cracked top due to lack of humidity.

Extremes, of course, will do the most damage. Switching from one extreme to another will do the most damage in the shortest period of time. But other than those relatively unusual states, it's lack of humidity that will do damage to wood instruments, shrinking the wood until it cracks.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey Guitar Geezer, I can store them at my Mom's place if necessary and that seems to be my best option so far. That would be in a heated basement with a de-humidifier in the summer.

I am interested in what happened to your classical guitar...

Also, thanks for your thoughts as well Steevo. I forgot to mention that in my last post.

Jason

Archived