Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fuzz Face

Hac

Whats happenin folks? Just wondering, I was going to buy one of the new fuzz faces, the dunlop ones but wasn't sure if it was worth it as they are pretty poor compared to the originals?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah ha! Right up my street :D I would say for vintage fuzz face tone you could build one with relative ease. I put some links in the "Im gonna start this thing off" thread to schematics etc.

I've not tried the dunlops though.. But from the looks of it they use the same ol transistors as the originals so they may be worth a shot if you're not inclined to make one. To build one its about £15-20 in parts and about 2-4 hours labour if you can solder OK (most of the labour time was actually finding the correct components). So really i guess that £99 is not TOOO much to part with for a dunlop... But I would recommend building just because of the added satisfaction :D

Originally posted by phaeton:

Originally posted by TheOtherLee:

To build one its about £15-20 in parts and about 2-4 hours labour

Unless something goes wrong ;)
Yes ABSOLUTELY unless something goes wrong!! :D Thats what makes me say the Dunlop may be worth it. Its all good fun though eh :)

Originally posted by phaeton:

To build one its about £15-20 in parts and about 2-4 hours labour

Unless something goes wrong ;)
Yes ABSOLUTELY unless something goes wrong!! :D Thats what makes me say the Dunlop may be worth it. Its all good fun though eh :)
Yes, great fun indeed! Of course nowadays, they're practically giving away useable DVOMs in cereal boxes, so the #1 debugging tool is very attainable. Another thing that helps is getting a set of matched transistors from smallbearelec.com, oar even picking up a kit at Tonepad or other places.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

In 1992 I paid about $240 (~£126) for my Fluke 75. I think it was considered 'middle of the road' at the time, and there others in the $1000 range. I imagine that there are still Fluke meters in that range, but it sure is a hard sell to non-engineers when $10 will buy something that will be fine for just about anything.

Thenagain, buying 2N7000s @ $0.04 each sure is a treat when I remember paying $0.69 each for 2N2222As about 15 years ago. ;)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived