Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For those who thinks its all about being loud...

Hound Dog

I was listening to The Doobies' "Long Train Runnin'" on the way home last night and I thought about what a great harmonica solo is in that song. Now how loud can a harmonica be? Harmonica's have a great tone and can really sound big. Sometimes I strive for that harmonica sound. You can't really get that with a 100 watter cranked.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chuck Jackson was playing through a mic'd Ampeg today at the K/W Blues and Brews BBQ Festival today, and was heard very well. He's a great vocalist as well, often fronting the Downchild Blues Band.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I hear a lot of players addressing the issue of whether an amp can be heard over the drums. I guess when you consider a harmonica and its usefullness in a band, you can go with the thought of getting your tone, even if it means using a very small amp, and then let the PA do its jobs.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

I know a lot of harp players who use a ton of distortion (from the amp) and some pretty big amps. Harp players were some of the first people to overdrive amps on purpose after all.

And I've seen more then a few of 'em play in places without PA's big enough for anything other then vocals.

Was in cabridge the other weekend doing a bit of clothes shopping with karen (oh what fun that was :) ) Anyway.. there were 3 guys in the middle of the street with a cut down drum kit (bought half the siz of a full kit) a guitarist with a wah wah, a les paul and a small beat up rusty amp.. And the singer who also played harmonica... They absolutely kicked arse!! The harp player went through boss distortion and reverb pedal's.. He was getting some seriously cool sounds out of that!!!

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

That's odd...

Most of the pro's I've worked with or seen onstage use tiny little amps and monitor close or through monitor speakers onstage.

I've rarely seen harp players run through anything larger than a Fender Champ. :confused:

Right or like our guy does just blow through the PA directly, pick a channel, add what ever effects you want on it, use your bullet mike and that's it, and it sounds good.

The local harp king is Westside Andy. He had his own 35 watt amp made by Holland and uses other stuff like tweed Bandmasters and Bassmen.

The only harp player I've spent much time playing with likes at least a tweed deluxe. He often uses a 40 watt Deville.

Guys over at harpamps.com seem to like the Bassman too.

http://www.harpamps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32

Not that I haven't seen guys use smaller amps or run right into the PA. But maybe I just spend too much time in clubs without real PA's or with harp players who like loud. Because I see a lot more big amps then small and I can't remember the last time I've seen someone play direct thru the PA.

YMMV of course and all that.

Originally posted by dave esmond:

The local harp king is Westside Andy. He had his own 35 watt amp made by Holland and uses other stuff like tweed Bandmasters and Bassmen.

The only harp player I've spent much time playing with likes at least a tweed deluxe. He often uses a 40 watt Deville.

Guys over at harpamps.com seem to like the Bassman too.

http://www.harpamps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32

Not that I haven't seen guys use smaller amps or run right into the PA. But maybe I just spend too much time in clubs without real PA's or with harp players who like loud. Because I see a lot more big amps then small and I can't remember the last time I've seen someone play direct thru the PA.

YMMV of course and all that.

Yep the PA direct thing is done in Detroit area all the time! in fact there are some recording of us using harp through the PA on my SoundClick, check out Born In Chicago, I think there are a couple more on there too.

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

I just think its real neat that something that will fit in your palm, or your pocket for that matter, can sound so cool.

Heck yeah!

I'm glad as a kid I wanted to see the HarmoniKats at the county fair really, really bad. I'm even more glad I stuck around for the next act(s)...Johnny Cash and the Carter Family.

Harmonicas are cool.

Archived