Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing like Django

PBBPaul

Not on purpose unfortunately.

On Monday, I was doing a little home project and my miter saw kicked a small piece of oak into the tip of my left ring finger. There was a big splash of blood so I went to the doctor and had it checked out and stitched up. While he was sewing, I was telling him how I wished I had studied Django Reinhardt's style more since I have a gig Saturday. He of course had no idea what I was talking about and I'm sure he thought I was in shock.

Any way, I do have a gig tomorrow night and since I'm no Django, I need my left ring finger. I'm supposed to keep the stitches in until Tuesday but I'll likely pull most of them tomorrow. Have any of you ever used liquid bandages? I'm thinking super glue will work as well to protect my not-quite-fully-healed finger tip. Anybody else ever been in this situation?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by teleman65:

My left finger's knuckle was crushed between my bicycle handle bars and a car door(I wish drivers would look before opening the door)

My finger healed but is crooked. Maybe you can play some slide or use the pinky in place of your ring finger. Good luck.

Thank you. I will have to get somewhat creative. I'll bring shorter scale guitars so the pressure won't be quite so abusive.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Sure have! I used Free Zone to kill the pain..it's topical an is used for bad tooth pain and layers of superglue...hay it got me through the night..good luck...NOW it's time to suffer for your art!! hope all goes well buddy!!

Free Zone, huh? I'll have to stop and pick some up. Thanks!

Ouch! Sorry to hear it, Paul. Hope all goes well. I don't have any specific information to add, but can you put something over the stitches with a proper pad to hold the string. Ungainly? Yes. Difficult to play? Yes. But better than screwing up your finger and having to leave the gig if you tear it open.

(BTW - What about next weekend? We'll be at the inlaw's for two nights from the 28th - 30th. A whole 40 hours or so with family in Illinois. :rolleyes: Man I hate these short trips.. but I digress on an already OT comment. :freak: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Ouch! Sorry to hear it, Paul. Hope all goes well. I don't have any specific information to add, but can you put something over the stitches with a proper pad to hold the string. Ungainly? Yes. Difficult to play? Yes. But better than screwing up your finger and having to leave the gig if you tear it open.

(BTW - What about next weekend? We'll be at the inlaw's for two nights from the 28th - 30th. A whole 40 hours or so with family in Illinois. :rolleyes: Man I hate these short trips.. but I digress on an already OT comment. :freak: )

Hey Neil!

We'll be in Northern Wisconsin next weekend around Lake Tomahawk.

My plan for tomorrow is to coat it up with some superglue and wear a fingertip bandaid as well. I've played in a variety of difficult situations before - including a couple of gigs in a cast - so I'll figure it out.

Yes. There is a spray-on bandage product (I can't remember the brand name) that works great. It stings like a red bitch if you spray it on an open wound, but it works really well. I got this stuff from the drugstore called Hurri-Caine to deaden it. It was intended for deadening dental pain and they keep it behind the counter, but it can be sold over-the-counter. It's a strong lidocaine based numbing agent, but I used it on my finger and it worked fine. I put the Hurri-Caine on first, then sprayed the bandgage stuff on and I was set to go.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Not on purpose unfortunately.

On Monday, I was doing a little home project and my miter saw kicked a small piece of oak into the tip of my left ring finger. There was a big splash of blood so I went to the doctor and had it checked out and stitched up. While he was sewing, I was telling him how I wished I had studied Django Reinhardt's style more since I have a gig Saturday. He of course had no idea what I was talking about and I'm sure he thought I was in shock.

Any way, I do have a gig tomorrow night and since I'm no Django, I need my left ring finger. I'm supposed to keep the stitches in until Tuesday but I'll likely pull most of them tomorrow. Have any of you ever used liquid bandages? I'm thinking super glue will work as well to protect my not-quite-fully-healed finger tip. Anybody else ever been in this situation?

My point of view. Keep the stiches and either use another finger or superglue over them. I you do pull them make sure to use allot of superglue and no pain killers. Pain killers could make you do something you would regret.

I had this gig Downtown, and it was the weekend they first started blocking the streets off w/Barricades, so I was hindered from taking my normal route to my loading spot and parking. Since I was barricaded about 10 yards from the spot, i hopped out of the car and moved the barricade aside. When I went to set it against the lightpole, the folding barricade scisorred shut on my fretting hand middle finger, severly severing major skin.

Since i got there 1' 30" ahead of time, i had time to drive way out of the area to a drug store i knew of to get the fingertip bandaids which only drug stores carry. i had played with them before and knew they worked, but never did a gig with them before.

Anyway, the gig went fine and those bandaids worked fine

I would get the fingertip bandaids AND the liquid stuff.

try the liquid at first, and if that goes south, put the fingertip bandaids on

you could superglue it on Saturday and sand it down, too

The problem w/the liquid stuff is that you lose sensitivity, but w/the bandaids you get the sensitivity w/o your fingertip hurting

However, i have first hand experience w/the fingertip bandaids and they worked on a deep nasty cut an hour before a gig

PBB....sorry you got bit. The upside is that it was just a splinter and not the blade.

Careful with those power cutting tools. Miters are not that bad although I have seen them kick back. Table saws I have a lot of respect for. I don't use the table saws at work. We have 3 big ones in the mill ( construction/ carpenter area ) and I always get a Propmaker to make big cuts for me.

One time we had a Special Effects guy do a cut for us and the table saw took off a fingertip....gone for good. BAM!!!! just like that....experienced user also. I have seen too many propmakers with missing digits....I stay away from those.

Just an update...

Last night before the gig, I pulled out the remaining stitches. I then coated my finger tip with super glue until it felt like I was wearing a thimble. It worked pretty well but the glue started flaking off by the end of the first set. During the break, I put on another layer of glue and covered it with a couple of bandaids. That did it and I was able to finish off the night with no further loss of blood. It was a pretty fun gig too.

Thanks for the advice from everybody.

I would be a little careful about using superglue on an open wound. There's a reason that it isn't used for medical applications. Cyanoacrylate was originally developed (in the early 1940's by Dr. Harry Coover of Kodak Labs) for use in gunsites, but it didn't work well for that, then they tried to use it for airplane parts, and that didn't work either. Then Eastman looked at medical applications... to replace sutures. They couldn't get FDA approval for the original formula (methyl-2-cyanoacrylate) so they marketed it as an all-purpose adhesive under the name Eastman #910. That formula did see limited battlefield use in Vietnam in medical applications, but was discontinued because it caused rather severe skin irritations and chemical burns.

Later another formula was developed (2-octyl cyanoacrylate) that was much more suitable for medical use and was granted FDA approval in 1998 under the trade names of Traumaseal and Dermabond.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Archived