Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I was messin' around, and recorded a video.

leadfootdriver

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Yeah man, nice work! I wish I could do 1/4 of that. I hear Satriani more than Vai. I dig JS more than Vai, so I thought it was great (as did everyone else)!

Very good phrasing etc..., but my favorite part of the whole video was the little hand wave at the end. You're playing with feeling, and that one of the most important things in music.

I also notice the pinky control. Good stuff.

Thanks for the compliments. I never noticed my "pinky" in any way. It's always interesting to hear how different people percieve things. You never know quite how people will react.

MySpace

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ellwood:

Very nice Leadfoot! hay ...do I see some SPACE in that rack!!! time to go GAS up I see!!! :eek::D:thu:

NO!!! :D At the very least, it's heavy enough. I already spent enough money. If I were to get anything new, it would be a higher quality effects box, or a more heavy duty MIDI switcher, like a DMC Pro. Don't get me started! :D

MySpace

Originally posted by leadfootdriver:

Originally posted by Windhover:

[qb] I come from a working class background, and nobody in my family has any buisness savy, so I'm on my own with this stuff.

I have friends whom I grew up with who are totally in your shoes. I understand the situation.

You put a lot of patient effort in learning to play. Think of your marketing the same way. You need to do some things that take a little time to pay off.

I don't have the time to say the things I want right now. I actually mentor artists when I have time on how to promote themselves. Much of the same concepts would probably work here as well.

I have some ideas... Let me get my work done and when I get a moment I'll send you an email with a couple of questions.

Whatever you do, seriously consider getting www.mickneil.com from GoDaddy or somewhere. In marketing, name recognition is most of the battle. Even if you don't use it right now, you'll at least have it for when you NEED it.

Brian

...getting back into playing after a 15 year "break".

Hay I see your in MY area sort of. Are you giggin anywhere? I have a airplane at Mettetal Airport on Lilly road and Joy.. are you near there? I'm over in Franklin Village ..13 Mile and Telegraph area.

You mean Mettatal is still there? I thought for sure it was dozed' down with condos in its place by now.

Hay I see your in MY area sort of. Are you giggin anywhere? I have a airplane at Mettetal Airport on Lilly road and Joy.. are you near there? I'm over in Franklin Village ..13 Mile and Telegraph area.

Yep, I've driver past that airport a 1000 times! Were not far from each other at all. Over on 14, and Orchard Lake is the Jack Cauly Ferrari dealer.

:P

MySpace

I'm suprised that you think the tone is good though because the original video was 9.5 meg, but I whacked it down to about 5 meg because I didn't have the server space for the full fidelity take.

I thought the sound was a bit "crispy" because of the compression. That may be part of the attraction but I'd love to hear it as you played it. It sounds (both from your description and your tone) that you've put a good bit of effort into getting your tone the way you want it. It's a shame to let that go to waste.

I assume you do all your own bass and drum work. Do you do your own mixing as well?

Is all your audio recording single take? Or do you use something like protools to cut/splice several takes together? Some folks like it one way, some the other.

I'd also like to say that I think your pinky technique is quite good. You use it with authority and it stands on its own quite well. I've never been able to get that much seperation and indenpendence with my pinky. Mine works pretty well, but you seem to have mastered yours. And you can both see and hear it in your playing.

This video appears to only use the first 6 strings. Or are you using the 7th string, too?

Cheers,

Bruce

Born on the Bayou

I took classical lessons for a while. Looking at his form and his movements up and down the neck, I betcha Mick has a little classical somewhere in his history. Either that, or a guitar teacher who has a lot of classical training.

Brian

Yep, I've driver past that airport a 1000 times! Were not far from each other at all. Over on 14, and Orchard Lake is the Jack Cauly Ferrari dealer.

:P

I actually think my mom lives somewhere close by. I've been in that area quite a few times. I've certainly been on both 14 mi. and Orchard Lake. Small world.

Brian

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I'm suprised that you think the tone is good though because the original video was 9.5 meg, but I whacked it down to about 5 meg because I didn't have the server space for the full fidelity take.

I thought the sound was a bit "crispy" because of the compression. That may be part of the attraction but I'd love to hear it as you played it. It sounds (both from your description and your tone) that you've put a good bit of effort into getting your tone the way you want it. It's a shame to let that go to waste.

I assume you do all your own bass and drum work. Do you do your own mixing as well?

Is all your audio recording single take? Or do you use something like protools to cut/splice several takes together? Some folks like it one way, some the other.

I'd also like to say that I think your pinky technique is quite good. You use it with authority and it stands on its own quite well. I've never been able to get that much seperation and indenpendence with my pinky. Mine works pretty well, but you seem to have mastered yours. And you can both see and hear it in your playing.

This video appears to only use the first 6 strings. Or are you using the 7th string, too?

Cheers,

Bruce

I program the drum machine; it has bass as well. And I mix too. It's a 1 man show. Here's a link to my 16 track. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/FostexD162416TrackDigitalRecorder?sku=240062 It has provisions to connect to a computer, but I don't use it that way. It has basic editing like cut, copy paste; but nothing advanced like quantise, normalizing, pitch tweaking, ect... Automated mixing would be great though. Manual mixing is hit or miss, then you have to do it again if you miss. It's almost like recording a take; it's a performance in itself.

I used to be set on doing whole takes, but that's a lot of work. YOu'll wear your hands out chasing the perfect take, so in the interest of time and economy, I'll punch in small clams on an otherwise good take, sure. But I think I'm a little old school on the editing, and just for pride reasons, I like to keep it to punch ins only. With Pro Tools type stuff, you can just flat out cheat and record things that you CAN'T play. I don't wanna' be known for things I can't demonstrate at anytime, so that's where I draw the line.

Did you hear the mixed version of this? Here's a link to it although it's an mp3, so it's been compressed a bit still http://mp3download.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=bandprofile.downloadSong&bsid=13633409&song_name=Street Rac&fid=79992762 . I recorded this using an ART Pro Mp mic pre. I pretty much hate it now. :D It took a while to really hear how washy it sounds because I wanted it to be good; but it isn't. :D The mic pres on my Mackie mixer sound truer, and un colored. But every pro audio snob I see on the web totaly pan the Mackie mixers, so I suppose there's a lot to be had still in my recorded tone. I've been trying to get an exact sound as I hear it live, but haven't been able to get there yet. More money, more money... On the video I just used the mixer pres.

The rhythm section uses all 7 strings, but the leads don't make it down that low on this tune. After you get past the width of the 7 neck, and string orientation, a lot of things like arpeggios for example are easier on a 7 neck because you have that extra note (3rd, 5th, root...)in the same position. It has it's benefits.

MySpace

Originally posted by Windhover:

I took classical lessons for a while. Looking at his form and his movements up and down the neck, I betcha Mick has a little classical somewhere in his history. Either that, or a guitar teacher who has a lot of classical training.

When I went to college I started taking Classical lessons. I played it strong for about 5 years. I miss it, but I wanted to do my own thing, so when I was done with school, I started to write my own stuff exclusively. Here's a link to a Classical vid I did 2-3 years ago. http://home.comcast.net/~30roll/Bach_2.wmv My hair looks funny in this vid. I was trying to grow it out, so it was in the shaggy stage. :D I recorded this with windows movie maker, and a computer mic. So that's why the candle is there. It's actually holding the mic in place; but it works astheticly' too.

I'll still pick it up maybe Like once a year for a week, or 2 now. I wish I had the time to keep that side of my playing up because I knew a lot of pieces that I've since forgoten, but that's life. It has to be electric first. I'm a rock guy.

MySpace

Archived