Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I was messin' around, and recorded a video.

leadfootdriver

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Very good stuff leadfootdriver.

BTW, I was born and raised in Garden City, MI.

That's cool! The old Rock Of Ages music/memoribilia store is still there on Ford, and Merriman. I'm about 10 minutes away from there!

Thanks for checkin' it out!

MySpace

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by stamplicker:

Originally posted by leadfootdriver:

Originally posted by stamplicker:

Good Job! Ahhh to be young again! hehe

I'm not that young... I'm 35. :freak:
LOL still younger then me :D

But as everyone else has said, great job :D

Thank you sir. I guess I have a lot of life left. :)

I couldn't count the time though that I wish I had todays brian 15 years ago ect... I'd do a lot of things different. I bet everyone feels that way though. ;)

MySpace

Originally posted by MILLO:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Everyone keeps saying Vai but I'd say you're much closer to his mentor, Satriani.

I like it for the same reasons I like Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing[/i]. It doesn't have the breaks of that song (The eclectic arpeggios), but otherwise a very similar sound and groove. (And yes, that's good, IMO. :thu: )

You need to find a local production company that can use such compositions for radio ads. If I could play like that I'd do it myself. ;)

+1... a good amount of both, maybe Vai and Satch? But the sound and tune are more like Vai, in my opinion. In the solos,many moves remind more of Satch.

Great job, dude. Mind telling us about your gear? I plan to steal afew ofyour licks.

Sure!like talking gear. I have the blue Ibanez 7-string, but I dumped the stock Dimarzios for EMG 707's. I've been playing EMG's since 1986. I'm use to the fast, solid transients of EMG's, so nothing else feel right.

I play a Mesa TriAxis, but I run Phillips JAN 12AT7's in V3, and V5 for a clearer, more dynamic sound. I run JJ ECC803S's everywhere else; including my power amp which is a Mesa Simul-Class 2:90. BUT, I run EL34's in the Class A slots for a bit more upper mids. And the I have 6l6's in the inner slots for the high end, and deep bass.

I have a Lexicon MPX-1 for effects. That's it for the sound stuff. I don't use any pedals at all.

I have 2-4x12 cabs with Celestion G12M70's. I got the 1 in 1987, and then I picked up the second in 96'used. I guess those particular speakers are not high on the popularity list, but that's all I know so they work for me. When I shoped for the 2nd cab, I went by price, and it just happened to have the same speakers as my 1st cab... Coincidence I guess.

http://home.comcast.net/~mickneil/1.jpg

MySpace

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I had to go back and play this again today. I like this a lot.

I played it for my son. Now he's got it slowed down on WMP and is trying to follow it. My wife made him close his bedroom door. She said it sounds like cats fighting. :D He told me today he wants an Ibanez Joe Satriani model.

One of the best things about him getting into the guitar is that I haven't heard any "rap" coming from his room in a couple of months, now. I think that's a "good" thing, even if it's only because I don't like "rap".

That's awesome on all accounts! :D

I wish I was a young teen with todays toys! When I was a young one, in order to listen to your favorite bands, you had to steal the copy from the dude who actually bought the "tape" or CD. OR, you got a cassette copy dubbed on "High Speed"! :D Now today, all you have to do is do a search, and you can get a master copy... :rolleyes::D

I went through a rap phase for about a year, but it had more to do with my car stereo system, and the amount of bass from the subwoofer in my trunk. :P But it was all good because I learned about EQ'ing that way by tweeking a grapic while cruisin' to my favorite music. :)

MySpace

I kinda wish I had been around when records were The Big Deal. iPods and all this electronical music stuff is kinda insignificant.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Something had been bouncing around in the back of my brain about this from the first time I heard it. Now, I know what it was. The background sounds like a very popular song. Junior's Farm by Paul McCartney and Wings. I know it's just the same chords (G F C). But that's what my brain came up with.

'Not familiar with that one. But Sir Paul wrote a ton of music. I'm sure lots of people ripped him off without knowing it.

MySpace

No Shit! Rock of Ages is still there? I guess some things in G.C. will never change.

Yep. That 20 something bar across the street called Frankies is still there too. They paint the outside of that place every year. There must be a good 1/2" of paint on the place. :D

MySpace

Now that I clicked on some of your links, I know I've heard your stuff before while lurking around on the Guitar Nine site.

I'm supprised. Sales have been dead for about a year now. I had a P.O. Box, but the CD sales don't make me enough to justify it, and it's only like $50 a year! :D

Like they say, don't quit your day gig. :freak:

MySpace

So where's that pic of you taken? Under a I-275 overpass?

I lived in Canton for a short time after getting out of the Marines. I lived in Village Squire Apmts. near Center Stage.

That guy finaly sold the property (Center Stage)They leveled it about a month ago. The Guitar Center is kiddie corner from there.

And YES, I-275, and Michigan to be exact. Me and my bud got a couple of 40oz's and walked down the bike trail last summer. There was a lot of clothes, some blankets and other minor personal items; along with a lot of broken glass. Seems like more than a few people call the over pass home. That bike trail really grew out. It's all cracked, and wild grass, weeds, and other vegetation cover most of it in parts. It needs to be redone.

My buddy doesn't take a very good pic. :rolleyes: I had him take a bunch, but only a couple turned out distinguishable. The rest were blurry or I had various body parts cut out. :D That was the best one out of about 20.

MySpace

Originally posted by Windhover:

Nice, very nice. Great pinky control. Very precise in neck movements. Good conservation of movement. I'm envious.

It's funny. This is a simple video. Most people would dismiss it as boring. As a guitar player, I could watch videos like this all day. I think it's a great way to influence how I practice.

Osceola - I had to look that one up. I grew up in Waupaca, but never heard of Osceola. Never got to the west side of the state much. Looks like about as big as the town I grew up in.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

Nice, very nice. Great pinky control. Very precise in neck movements. Good conservation of movement. I'm envious.

It's funny. This is a simple video. Most people would dismiss it as boring. As a guitar player, I could watch videos like this all day. I think it's a great way to influence how I practice.

Osceola - I had to look that one up. I grew up in Waupaca, but never heard of Osceola. Never got to the west side of the state much. Looks like about as big as the town I grew up in.
Haven't been here long, about 3 years. But it's a small town and we're meeting folks at a rapid clip. It's a nice little town. Haven't really met the music crowd yet.

Brian

...getting back into playing after a 15 year "break".

I lived in Canton for a short time after getting out of the Marines. I lived in Village Squire Apmts. near Center Stage.

That guy finaly sold the property (Center Stage)They leveled it about a month ago. The Guitar Center is kiddie corner from there.

And YES, I-275, and Michigan to be exact. Me and my bud got a couple of 40oz's and walked down the bike trail last summer. There was a lot of clothes, some blankets and other minor personal items; along with a lot of broken glass. Seems like more than a few people call the over pass home. That bike trail really grew out. It's all cracked, and wild grass, weeds, and other vegetation cover most of it in parts. It needs to be redone.

My buddy doesn't take a very good pic. :rolleyes: I had him take a bunch, but only a couple turned out distinguishable. The rest were blurry or I had various body parts cut out. :D That was the best one out of about 20.

I rode those bike paths all the time. In fact, my friend and I used to do midnight bike rides through those trails. We biked from Garden City (Ford Rd. and Middlebelt) all the way up to 275; then we'd take the trail north to Hines Drive and ride all the way back to G.C. It was fun.

And Frankies? I've been there a few times. The time that sticks out most though is when I was there one night about 10 years after high school. I saw many of my old high school friends there. Some were laid off from their jobs, some returned from out of state after failing to make a decent living... etc. I said to myself that night... I have to get out of this freakin' town.

I rode those bike paths all the time. In fact, my friend and I used to do midnight bike rides through those trails. We biked from Garden City (Ford Rd. and Middlebelt) all the way up to 275; then we'd take the trail north to Hines Drive and ride all the way back to G.C. It was fun.

And Frankies? I've been there a few times. The time that sticks out most though is when I was there one night about 10 years after high school. I saw many of my old high school friends there. Some were laid off from their jobs, some returned from out of state after failing to make a decent living... etc. I said to myself that night... I have to get out of this freakin' town.

:eek: Moutian bikes? :eek: Just another GAS for me!!! Single track? firetrail?

Something had been bouncing around in the back of my brain about this from the first time I heard it. Now, I know what it was. The background sounds like a very popular song. Junior's Farm by Paul McCartney and Wings. I know it's just the same chords (G F C). But that's what my brain came up with.

'Not familiar with that one. But Sir Paul wrote a ton of music. I'm sure lots of people ripped him off without knowing it.
I wouldn't call it a rip off at all. It's just the same chords and occasionally there's a juncture. The songs have very little to do with each other. The pattern recognition in my head just somehow joined the two together. The only similarity I see is that sometimes they both have the same chords in the same order.

I think with a bit of work from a good board op to help you clean it up a little (and there is at least one good board op, here) and maybe a real drummer and bass player, you could have a saleable tune, there, I think.

Your timing seems to be pretty good. You meshed with the rhythm section coming very well. Now that I've listened to it several times, I really do feel more Satriani than Vai in this.

What model Ibanez is your axe? (looks like an RG321MHRB) And what are you playing through, there? Your tone is great. Are you using any pedals other than the chorus? Or is that part multi-tracked with an overlaid guitar?

You really should check out Junior's Farm. It's a great song.

Born on the Bayou

I admire the fact that you picked up, and left. I was never in a mindset to do that.

MySpace

Hey Mick,

You've definately got something here that is of value. Why don't you take a minute and figure out *how* it has value. You're not already famous, so a reasonable marketing person would agree you probably wouldn't want to waste your time trying to sell these videos. At least not at this point in your career. But they're still very interesting to watch.

Please allow me to float an idea.

In my humble opinion, I believe you should use it to: 1. get a corporate sponsor, and 2. build your name recognition on the internet. These videos should be on the internet everywhere you can--- free to watch (Youtube.com, myspace, whatever). They should clearly promote you and your sponsor. This simple video has value to aspiring guitar players everywhere in the world. Remember this is a global market. I think I'd approach Ibenez since you like their 7 string guitar. Ditch the doggy tee shirt. You should wear a sponsor's shirt. Get your website address in the bottom corner of your video. Consider your goal of this project to be to help other guitar players. What you'll actually be doing is building a little world-wide name recognition (and, of course, helping your sponsor).

You've got a nice website, but remember you'll get a LOT of new traffic when you do this. Take more time to polish it up. You never know who's looking. This may end up attracting a new opportunity for you. "Luck favors the prepared, darling." (Movie: The Incredibles)

I don't know what you do when you're not playing guitar. My day job has trained me to be very aware of marketing opportunities. You definately have one here. It might not be the "big bang" that'll pay your mortgage. But it's probably one of those things that'll offer a lot of synergy to any other promotional efforts. I really think it's worth putting some time into. You can still keep it simple. Remember, you don't have to be the best guitar player in the world to get attention. You just have to be better than a whole lot of other guitarists, and you certainly are that. There *is* a small chance a group of these videos will get *a lot* of attention. You never know with the internet. It's sorta like playing the lottery.

OK, enough of the business seminar. I do get rather excited about marketing. This whole thought started when I tried to imagine what I'd do if my son came to me with a video like this. You're a little old to be my son, and I hope my enthusiasm hasn't offended you. I do think your video is pretty cool.

Brian

...and the headless thing is very important! From a marketing standpoint, it works. But only if you put a sponsor's tee shirt on and your website address at the bottom. Curiosity alone will bring them to your website.

Brian

Windhover's on to something. Be the next Buckethead! Only, you'll just be 'No-head.' 'Headless.'

Seriously, the internet at this point has a lot to offer the self-promoter. Who knows when all the free hosting websites will crack or charge? This is the perfect time to take advantage of the whole internet fad/celebrity thing!

I admire the fact that you picked up, and left. I was never in a mindset to do that.

It was during that time that I basically put down the guitar and went back to school. I was taking classes at Henry Ford and was ready to transfer to either U of M Dearborn or even Ann Arbor. That was going to be my ticket out of Michigan, eventually.

Then... to make a long story short, I met my wife in N.J., moved to Long Island, went to school here... and that's that. I've been out here almost 14 years now.

I put down the guitar during that whole time and am getting back into it. I've played it now less than a year. I'm nowhere near where I used to be but... I'm having fun.

Yeah man, nice work! I wish I could do 1/4 of that. I hear Satriani more than Vai. I dig JS more than Vai, so I thought it was great (as did everyone else)!

Very good phrasing etc..., but my favorite part of the whole video was the little hand wave at the end. You're playing with feeling, and that one of the most important things in music.

I also notice the pinky control. Good stuff.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Hey Mick,

You've definately got something here that is of value. Why don't you take a minute and figure out *how* it has value. You're not already famous, so a reasonable marketing person would agree you probably wouldn't want to waste your time trying to sell these videos. At least not at this point in your career. But they're still very interesting to watch.

Please allow me to float an idea.

In my humble opinion, I believe you should use it to: 1. get a corporate sponsor, and 2. build your name recognition on the internet. These videos should be on the internet everywhere you can--- free to watch (Youtube.com, myspace, whatever). They should clearly promote you and your sponsor. This simple video has value to aspiring guitar players everywhere in the world. Remember this is a global market. I think I'd approach Ibenez since you like their 7 string guitar. Ditch the doggy tee shirt. You should wear a sponsor's shirt. Get your website address in the bottom corner of your video. Consider your goal of this project to be to help other guitar players. What you'll actually be doing is building a little world-wide name recognition (and, of course, helping your sponsor).

You've got a nice website, but remember you'll get a LOT of new traffic when you do this. Take more time to polish it up. You never know who's looking. This may end up attracting a new opportunity for you. "Luck favors the prepared, darling." (Movie: The Incredibles)

I don't know what you do when you're not playing guitar. My day job has trained me to be very aware of marketing opportunities. You definately have one here. It might not be the "big bang" that'll pay your mortgage. But it's probably one of those things that'll offer a lot of synergy to any other promotional efforts. I really think it's worth putting some time into. You can still keep it simple. Remember, you don't have to be the best guitar player in the world to get attention. You just have to be better than a whole lot of other guitarists, and you certainly are that. There *is* a small chance a group of these videos will get *a lot* of attention. You never know with the internet. It's sorta like playing the lottery.

OK, enough of the business seminar. I do get rather excited about marketing. This whole thought started when I tried to imagine what I'd do if my son came to me with a video like this. You're a little old to be my son, and I hope my enthusiasm hasn't offended you. I do think your video is pretty cool.

Much gratitude for taking the time to share your thoughts! :) I come from a working class background, and nobody in my family has any buisness savy, so I'm on my own with this stuff.

I can't do everything on my own, but with a few sparks for motivation like the one you just gave me, it seems pretty clear on how I should approach things. Thanks! They did the best they could to raise me I know, and I'm thankfull. I have eyes, and I see how some people live, and things could have been a lot worse. I come from a loving home, so there's nothing to complain about there. Everyone needs help in life one way or another, an I'm not to proud to admit that.

If I can affect a bottom line somewhere, I'm sure I can start to get a few people in my corner. Most people are real shitty to me when it comes to my playing, and my music. But I know that once money comes into the picture, I'll have a few new "Friends". That's life I guess. 'Always about the Dollar, and not who you are as a person...

I'll get on a plan right away!

MySpace

Originally posted by Ricardo_F:

Windhover's on to something. Be the next Buckethead! Only, you'll just be 'No-head.' 'Headless.'

Seriously, the internet at this point has a lot to offer the self-promoter. Who knows when all the free hosting websites will crack or charge? This is the perfect time to take advantage of the whole internet fad/celebrity thing!

Hmmm. The "Headless Guitarist"! I wonder how I could pull that off live... :D

MySpace

Archived