Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bare Knuckle Pickups

Jedro

About a month ago I posted a thread asking for input on new pickups. Someone recommended Bare Knuckle pickups and after some research I ordered a set.

The set I got was a VHII humbucker and two Irish Tour single coils

After a few days, here are my impressions.

First, I really like the VHII humbucker. It's warm, punchy and has a nice midrange body that I didn't have with my Lace Sensors. At first I thought it was a bit muddy, but after some tweaking on the amp, I've got a nice tight low end.

I've got a coil tap on the humbucker. Several users (not here) had mentioned that the pickup tapped really well. On this I'm not so sure. Clean it sounds great; very close to a true single coil. Up the gain, though, and it starts to have sort of an out-of-phase sound. And this is just with one pickup. I was hoping for more of a searing single coil overdriven tone.

I'm kinda neutral on the two Irish Tour single coils. They sound really good, but I liked the Fender Lace single coils anyway and its a completely different character. I would describe the Bare Knuckles as a more traditional single coil sound. I'm sure I'll grow more attached to the Irish Tour pickups.

All in all, I'm very happy with my choice but that's mostly on the merit of the humbucker. It's a great sounding pickup.

Back to my guitar.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, thanks for the report. You had me on the trail of BKPUPS, but I am going for the Duncan Antiquities

Have fun w/your new purchase

I would get them, but I think the Duncans are more suitable for what I do

I am ripping out the lace sensors on my strat, no doubt

I haven't played my strat for years because of those abominable things

Well, you know, in hindsight I could have chosen a "hot PAF" style pickup from any on the top brands and been happy. Sometimes I just like going with something from off the beaten path.

So you don't like the Laces, yZe? I was simply tired of mine. The funny thing is, at the time I got them I would basically buy anything a certain salesperson would hype and he hyped the Lace Sensors to replace the EMG's I had. Jeez, if I had only known that I was buying a very similar pickup!

Ah, live and learn..

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Archived