Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Identify this Guitar! (issue 1049)

Ricardo.

Weird Guitar

I stumbled upon this one. I've looked up Crest, and Crest models on Harmony Central reviews and neither leads anywhere. I have an "Electric Guitar Encyclopedia" and it seems that it may be a Silvertone or some weirder models, but this exact guitar didn't turn up in the search.

What is it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Japanese, definitely, probably from the same factory that made Teiscos, Normas, and some Silvertones is the mid to late 60's. I' ve seen guitars like it before. It's not a Silvertone, but made by the same folks. It's crap, but fun crap, and there is probably some blues maven or alterna-punk out there who would kill to get his hands on it for "that tone".

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Well, Silvertones are not Silvertones, Starcaster. ;)

Silvertone was Sears & Roebuck's branding of musical instruments and amplifiers. The instruments were made by a variety of contracted companies, including but not limited to Danelectro, Kay, and others.

The Silvertone Crest you mentioned, Starcaster, is a 1940's lap steel. It's possible they reused the name for this guitar, but.. I doubt it.

I'm with Picker. It looks to have been made by the factory that built Teiscos, etc.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

<>

There's a name from the past. I didn't know there were Stella branded electrics, but the first guitar I ever had in my hands was my brother's cheap ass Harmony Stella, which I think was commonly sold through Sears, for about $60. Stella used to be a legit well known respected maker, probably most visible as the 12 string played by Leadbelly. But by the 60's Harmony had bought the name. The one my brother & I played was really crap, but it got us playing.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived