Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great classical Guitar Clip

spiral light

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, that's Li Jie. She was about 13 or 14 when she recorded that, I think. She (and her playing) have come a long, long way since then. She was very technically proficient even then, but the last clip I saw of her she was starting to get the emotion and feeling into the music.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

That is truly amazing technique, and memory.

Whenever I hear classical players going sick like that I always think I am just a simpleton retard. Or better yet a simpletone..

i don't need classical players to remind me of my simpletoness.

The thing about classical music is the people who play it are PERFECT. That is the most difficult aspect. It isn't like rock or jazz where there is always a little room for error.

Not to say jazz players can't be completely awe inspiring. Or rock players for that matter.

The purity of sheer technical brilliance in classical music is pretty intimidating and it isn't just technical perfection as a means to an end like in alot shredderdom. It has all lasted for a while because it is great music--7though everyone has their own opinions on what they like.

Of course classical guitar is pretty new. I mean I believe Segovia was the guy who really brought it to the forefront of classical music.

I could be wrong, but thats what I remember reading

The thing about classical music is the people who play it are PERFECT. That is the most difficult aspect. It isn't like rock or jazz where there is always a little room for error.

Agreed. They're very precise and have a high degree of concentration.

One guy from the jazz world who had those qualities in abundance though was Joe Pass. I don't think I've ever heard him flub a note.

Not to say jazz players can't be completely awe inspiring. Or rock players for that matter.

The purity of sheer technical brilliance in classical music is pretty intimidating and it isn't just technical perfection as a means to an end like in alot shredderdom. It has all lasted for a while because it is great music--7though everyone has their own opinions on what they like.

Of course classical guitar is pretty new. I mean I believe Segovia was the guy who really brought it to the forefront of classical music.

I could be wrong, but thats what I remember reading

Well, guitar was pretty much a dead instrument at one point until a spaniard named Francisco Tarrega (trained as a pianist)began touring Europe performing in concert with a guitar. His concerts and compositions brought a new following for the guitar and earned it some respect as a concert instrument. Previous to Tarrega, the guitar had just about been relegated to nothing more than an accompaniment instrument for vocalists. Into the beginning of the 20th century, guitar had it's following but was still considered by many composers to be inadequate as a symphony and concert instrument. Andre Segovia almost single-handedly changed that attitude, earning the guitar a new level of respect. Segovia's perfect tone and technique and virtuoso musicianship captivated his audiences...plus, he had the added advantage of a technology that his predecessors didn't have...electronic recording and broadcasting.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Archived