Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O.T Trade schools.

vikingrat

I need some real world advice from you guys.When i was going through deppression about the big 40 you guys were the best.It really got me out of the rut i was in and i really want to thank you all for that.No B.S. So heres the thing.I got laid off a couple of months ago and ive been recieving unemployment since.Instead of jumping back into a nowhere job i want to go back to school for computers or some kind of trade so i dont wind up working five years for a company and not have a thing to show for it.Today i went to two computer schools and i just felt really out of place.There was alot of pressure to sign up now and i felt this was more for finacial reasons than anything else.I am wondering if i should go to community college and talk to someone there.It would take longer but would be a hell of alot less money.My brain is in limbo right now.Sorry ahead of time for this being off topic.I posted O.T with the title in hopes of not pissing anyone off.Have any of you guys gone the trade school route? How did you end up at the jobs you have now? Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the trade school route seems the way to go. I am contemplating it and, after having been in college way too much, i can say that going to trade school is a much better idea

I would get into the computer repair /troubleshooting aspect or get into electronic repair. See the elec repair gig will cross over in to your sick and twisted electric guitar amplification fantasies (did I just say that? Must be getting late . . . )

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Comminity is a good place to be. it is not how much you pay, it is what you take with you. It costs sooo much less too.

Thats what im thinking to.U.E.I is going to be alot of cash.Im going to have to take out loans.I also don't know if i see myself being a suit and tie person.There is nothing wrong with that but it just seems really out of my character.What im nervous about is commiting to this program and the realizing its not for me.At a comminity college if i dont like it i can move to something else.Im going to make an appointment with a carrer counseler before i just jump into this.

A trade school can be a good route IF it is a good school. Be VERY wary of the quality of the school. I have worked with several people who have gone to trade schools for drafting and I have seen some good people and some horrible people. They will basicly give a diploma to anyone who shows up for class.

A friend I work with now told me that he had a terrible experience with a well known local drafting (AutoCad) school. In the middle of the semester they hired a student that had just finished the class and that teacher tried to read the book each night for the next lesson. He had never had any real life or teaching experience and barely knew anything. My friend sued the school to get his tuition back.

Another guy I worked with had 2 years of full time classes and graduated. The first day at work he asked me how to draw a line to a specific length, I thought he was joking, sadly he wasn't. He knew absolutly nothing, none of the basic commands. He knew absolutly nothing about basic computer skills either, I mean even simple stuff like saving a file. I tried to help the guy but I don't know how he passed grade school let alone any "higher learning".

I have worked with a guy that taught at one of these schools and he was barely competent. He hired one of his students, and the student ended up being pretty decent after a few months working because he applied himself.

My younger brother taught one semester at a junior college when he got burned out on software development and wanted to take a breather. He is REAL smart but had absolutly no teaching experience. They basicly threw him in and made him swim, he had no help from the department head like giving him materials to teach with. It took two weeks into the class before he even received a syllabus. He did ok only becuase he found some online forums and asked questions about how to teach the material.

So, again, be very carefull about what school you go to. Don't listen to advertisments or testimonials. Try to talk to people that have actually attended the school, or maybe even the better business bureau. Sorry to sound negative, but I would hate for you to waste a year or more of your life and end up getting ripped off.

Thank you Gruupi and B.R.67.I think im just going to do the community college way.I got the feeling that the guy that i talked to didn't really know the program that well.He was just reading it of the computer back to me.My friend sat through the whole thing and she said she felt a kind of pressure selling thing.They called my house before i even got back.I gotta go with my gut.About ten years ago i was taking nursing classes and before i was done with the pre reqs i realized that it wasnt the gig for me.Again i thank you guys for taking the time out.Were all around the same age here and i know you guys have real life experience with this stuff.Id rather go to a real school that may take longer than a whole in the wall private thing.The more i think about this the happier i am that i didn't sign anything today.I told them that i want to check some options and you could feel the pressure.

What kind of experience do you have? What do you really enjoy doing? What are your minimum income requirements?

My thoughts...

IF you really enjoy computer stuff and have a solid knack for it, go for it but look beyond computer/hardware repair. Let's face it, the average high school kid can build their own computer. The demand lies in software, networking and IP telephony support. To be in demand requires a solid commitment on your part as you need to get certified. In software, go for top-flight Microsoft certs like the MCSE & up. In networking, go for the Cisco CCNA & up. These programs are difficult expensive but you will commonly find employers willing to pay for all or part of them if you are willing to work low-paying front-line support in the mean time. FWIW, my company charges $88/hr for hardware support/repair, $122/hr for basic telephony/networking support and $180/hr for complex router configs and enterprise-grade telephony/networking. This should give you an idea of where the demand is. Personally, I'd stay away from those for-profit schools that offer free pizza for showing up and lean toward a public tech college.

If complex computing is not your thing, there is nothing wrong with being an electrician, plumber, nurse or carpenter. The key is to do what fascinates you.

This is why i posted here!You guys should chare money.These are things that i didn't give full thought to.I enjoy playing around on the computer and have had to use different programs for previous jobs at Guitar center and Sam ash as well as my last gig managing a clothing store.Theses were all really simple programs so my experience would be kinda minimal.My true love is Guitars and music.Good point about for-profit vs public.

Before investing in a trade school, I would take similar classes at a community college to see if that's what I indeed want to do. Nothing worse than getting yourself into something that you're not cut out to do, if that turns out to be the case. Just put a feeler out there and see where it gets you. In the meantime, enjoy the unemployment because YOU paid into it. ;)

God Bless :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Have you considered professional Sales? You need a strong self-driving work ethic and really tough skin but it can be very rewarding.

My last gig was sales.I hate the feeling of the job not being over.The good sales for the prvieous day didn't mean anything the next day.Plus i don't like making people feel pressured.Thats what i liked about operations at Sam Ash.You just went in busted your ass and went home.I don't envy the sales guys at all.You get shit from both ends.I like the ideal of a more independent job.Im one of those people that rather do stuff on my own and get it done than wait and baby talk someone into doing their gig.That was the problem i had being manager at my last gig.People would come in and job on the computer which drove me nuts.You figure people would take your led and jump in with you.Nope. Thats what i don't like about the team thing.If you bust ass everyone kinda stands back and lets you knock yourself out.Then show up when the big wigs are there with that look what i did look on there face.I really prefer to work by myself because then its up to me to get stuff done.I find it takes too much energy to get other people to do stuff.

Archived