Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Remember the pics I posted called Sunrise over Ontario a month ago?

Boggs

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by A String:

What camera are you using Neil? I love the depth of field you are getting. I miss that with my crummy camera.

First, credit where credit's due.. These pics were taken by my lovely wife. :thu:

Second, she's still enamored of her film camera and you see why. ;) It's a cheap, Chinon CM-4. We bought two on Ebay for less than $80/each to replace her original I broke (overwound) 10 years ago. No one, and I mean no one could fix it without custom made parts. Then we discovered Ebay in 1997 or '98 (has it really been that long?) and bought a replacement.

We like the CM-4 because, unlike the Pentax K-1000, it uses three LED's to display over/under/correct exposure by its' simple metering. Very intuitive, but not distracting like the K-1000's viewfinder needle. She's had one since her eighth grade graduation.

She enjoys shooting the standard, 55mm lens. I prefer the 120mm telephoto that arrived with the first Ebay purchase. The other had a broken 55mm. A year or two ago one of the bodies we bought suffered its' own winder breakage, so we're down to one again.

It's a great camera if you don't mind shooting film. Our Costco does a reasonbly professional job of processing, and both of us worked in labs so we know what to ask for when something's wrong and the neg is fine. ;)

Finally, Sunday was really bright, although one of these pics was taken in shade. Most of her shots, using ASA200, IIRC, had to be shot at 125th or 250th/sec. The max f number is only 16, but as you mentioned the depth of field is pretty darn good at that f-stop. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah, it's the depth of field setting that really make a picture pop. (IMO)

I'm just using a little Fuji Film Digital camera 4.1MP. It works for capturing the moment, but it only rarely comes up with the picture I saw through the viewer.

I miss my old Pentax 35MM.

On a sort of related topic, I still have my old Darkroom stuff kicking around. It's a B/W set, but it was still really fun. Did you guys have a darkroom as well or did you just work in one?

Originally posted by A String:

Yeah, it's the depth of field setting that really make a picture pop. (IMO)

I'm just using a little Fuji Film Digital camera 4.1MP. It works for capturing the moment, but it only rarely comes up with the picture I saw through the viewer...

Believe me, I understand with my 2MP Nikon775. It's a pos compared to new snapshot digitals, but even they don't allow for manual settings.

I'd love a no frills digital, decent MP rate, full manual controls (f-stop, shutterspeed, possibly even ASA/ISO range.) and interchangeable, manual focus lenses. Make it compatible with my current, Pentax-type K-mount lenses and I'd be ecstatic. ;):thu:

I want the equivalent in camera of what guitarists often clamor for (and can still get) in amplifiers. Direct, tactile control of basic functions. (I.e. volume, tone controls vs. digital pages and pages of options. :rolleyes: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Boggs:

I entered the one with the crooked tree in a contest and it is now a semi-finalist... It was also selected for publication in an upcoming book!

The book it will be published in is called Endless Journeys (ISBN: 0-7951-5247-7) and is scheduled to be out from the International Library of Photography affiliated with the Library of Congress in Fall... It is also a semi-finalist in the June contest at picture.com . Monthly Grand Prize is $1,000.00 and there are 40 Solid Silver Medals and 73 Solid Bronze Medals awarded. I certainly don't have any expectations of Grand Prize, but to medal would be cool...

I can't afford to get the book at this time unfortunately, but I would imagine for photography buffs, it would be a gem. They have already copyright registered the picture in my name so I still am the sole owner of rights to it. Not bad for an impulsive stop, get out of the car because you happen to have your digital camera with you and capture the moment! :D

Hey mate, sorry to tell you this, but I also entered this contest, and please, whatever you do, dont buy the book they offered you. The whole deal is a scam. I recieved the same letter you did, about the semi-finals and what-not. Its a joke. I can give you a web-site where there are about 1000 people who complained about buying the book and never recieving it, or having to wait over a year before they got it. And even when they got it, it wasnt what they thought it would be.

So, as sorry as I am to say it, you got conned if you paid anything to them. Otherwise, all you lost is your photo. In either case, sorry for your run of bad luck, I had some too. Here's that web address in case you want to see for yourself. Photo Scam Revealed

Not to worry... I didn't buy anything. Didn't ever have any intent to either. I haven't really lost the photo as the copyright is in my name and it was on their website for the world to see, so it's all cool! Thanks for the concern. Good luck to you too! ;)
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Archived