Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some days are just sloppier than others

Hardtail

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get them...I typically know within a few minutes whether I should just put down the guitar and do something else. I first noticed those "off days" rock climbing, the guys called them "high gravity days". Then I took up mountain bike racing with a passion, actually had a sponsor, placed in a few provincials, but I quickly made a rule of thumb...."third time over the bars in any session I would walk my bike to the nearest paved road and go straight home"

Now I'm on the East Coast and spend most of my free time surfing. Some days I feel like I could compete with the bet of them and have a blast, but there are still days where I'm floundering like a beginner.

I'm wondering if it's the moon or low blood sugar? Whatever it is, it's real.

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Originally posted by Bluesape:

We all have 'em - usually after too many days without practice.

Actually, I had a good, spot on, practice last night.

Like you said... we all have them. There's no point in getting frustrated about it. Besides, the day is young and I have the day off. Aside from some things I have to do around the house, I'll have lots of practice time here and there.

When I get days like this, I'll forget the technique crap and try to learn something new. When I'm learning something new, I don't get caught up in technique as much until my fingers get used to it.

Originally posted by ellwood:

:D right and don't forget the slopmaster if it's blues your after, JV for slop hand technique will do ya just fine! :thu:

Anytime I try to google for a JV guitar method book, I just get a picture of a pair of gloves and a bottle of booze.

In case you didn't get the joke, I mean to say that JV sounds like he's playing shitfaced with a pair of gloves on.

If your having a sloppy day, take full advantage of it, switch over to grunge for the day and write and record a grunge hit!!! :D

:D

You like stirring that pot... ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by HardTail:

:D right and don't forget the slopmaster if it's blues your after, JV for slop hand technique will do ya just fine! :thu:

Anytime I try to google for a JV guitar method book, I just get a picture of a pair of gloves and a bottle of booze.

In case you didn't the joke, I mean to say that JV sounds like he's playing shitfaced with a pair of gloves on.

:D:thu:

Originally posted by miroslav:

If your having a sloppy day, take full advantage of it, switch over to grunge for the day and write and record a grunge hit!!! :D

:D

You like stirring that pot... ;)

Come on! That's not true. Kurt Cobain is an awesome guitar player. I read it here so it must be true. :eek:

I know that Elwood was bieng sarcastic about when your sloppy go write a grunge hit, but you can take that spirit and use it to your advantage. I play alot of classical and there are days where I just can't concentrate and play through my songs. I will be going off and improvising right in the middle of what I am trying to play. Sometimes I'll just run with it and follow my creativity rather than trying to focus on playing songs I know. This has lead to some of my best musical ideas.

So for me it isn't usually a finger thing, its mental. Sometimes I can't really come up with any good improvisations and just play songs I know. It really helps if you play lots of different styles of music and have different types of guitars. Who is to know on those days when you just can't get the classical thing going, that 2 hours later you might pick up your electric and play your most blistering blues.

I guess if you only have a limited time to play each day, that those off days really can hurt. But even if you have an off day, try and come back to it a little later and see if you can make something happen, don't let a sour note ruin your whole day.

Archived