Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Too old to rock & roll?

vikingrat

40?!? Oh, man you may as well just get you a wheelchair and a shawl already. You're just way too old to be playing a guitar. You can send them all to me. ;)

I turned 48 last month. And I still rock out all the time.

Don't let anyone tell you you're too old to rock. Like someone else said, Buddy Guy is 70 years old and he still rocks HARD! :D

Rock til you drop!

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh...you know who's too old to Rock & Roll...

...the Stones! :D

I mean...they're pushing 70...while trying to still "strut" their stuff on stage.

While I agree that music and "too old" should never come up in the same sentence.

I do think there comes a time where trying to perform a certain way or to maintain an image that was viable 40-50 years earlier...

you CAN get to a point of being"too old". :thu:

OK...now I know the Stones fans are gonna' kick my ass! :P

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

54 here and still crankin'... been in a Metal head lately - Blues is great but METAL is good therapy after dealing with the general public all day (Remodeling Contractor)...

Rock On!

The Stones ain't gotta prove anything - they proved it over and over - they just wanna have more $$$$ and have fun!

"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Originally posted by Chad:

Originally posted by Starcaster:

40??!?!111one? d00d ur way 2 old to rocknroll rawk is a yung mans game liek metal n metalcore old ppl dont now nuthin.

Well, at least we know how to spell...
If you didn't recognize that as a form of internet humor then maybe you are too old ;)

40??!?!111one? d00d ur way 2 old to rocknroll rawk is a yung mans game liek metal n metalcore old ppl dont now nuthin.

If you didn't recognize that as a form of internet humor then maybe you are too old ;)
When I first saw it, I thought my dyslexia was getting the best of me again.

40 this year too. Still bike 1500 miles a year, and surf almost daily, actually made the cover of our National Newspaper (The Globe and Mail) for surfing during a hurricane.

First time I started feeling my age; at a bar drinking with an old buddy, after having a meal, they start clearing tables, place starts filling up, music gets louder...next thing you know here's these two drunks sitting in the middle of dancefloor with numerous pitchers of beer on their table. I get it into my head that I'd like to dance with one of the cuties that crowding the place, but my buddy is in tears laughing from all the rejection I'm getting. Finally I ask one girl that won't dance with me, "why?"....

"'cause you're too old"

"how old do you think I am?"

she looks me up and down..."35"

nailed it.

I slunked back to the table. Never recovered.

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Yup, figured it out after. I don't think I'm too old but I posted that in the early a.m., which is NOT my best time! Guess that makes me a guitar player...

I actually feel good after reading thru this thread.

I'm 33 this year, and to be honest was feeling old, generally speaking.

But one of my guitar buddies is 50 and nothing is stopping him from achieving his dreams.

Damn those marketers ... I need to think outside the box (on guitar too, mind).

It also depends on what audience you are trying to reach. If you are trying to reach teenagers through their raging hormones, age DOES matter!

If it's the music, though, lots of young people are musically curious, and if you can get HEARD.... who cares how old the artist is, or isn't, if they can deliver the goods??

Played our usual 4 hour gig on my last birthday. This year I'll be 42. I plan to rock til' I drop!

Hey, if Jack Bruce can sit on a chair to a sold out show in Royal Albert Hall and still bring the rock, WTF are you worried about?!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Hey guys this has been a fun thread so far. I gotta turn you on to a story about my best friend that I grew up with through High School etc. He was a smokin' DRUMMER, played for me and with me for years. Best drummer I have ever played with.....ever!

Well he left a couple years before me to come to the 'States to go to Berklee College of Music. After a few semesters there he then went to Indiana to join a touring blues band he met in Boston, and at some point quit the drums and went full bore with guitar. He had always played guitar as a second instrument and we used to get together and jam out on duo stuff, him being more Di Meola me more McGlaughlin so it worked well. We used to walk into Jazz clubs and ask if we could do a duo during the bands break and we would just burn up stuff, it was so much fun. Then when people were raving about his guitar playing he would get up on kit and just make jaws drop.

Anyway after both ending up in the USA we both continued to pursue careers as guitarists, both got in to Spotlight in GP mag, did session work all the usual stuff trying to get record deals, all the bulls...t etc and it never really panned out for us, but we continue to chip away at it, him on the East Coast in Florida, me in LA. And in the meantime we have gotten a lot older.

This thread has been about age. If you are interested and have a moment go listen to his music at the site I will post. The shred electric stuff was done in '02 and the acoustic stuff was early last year so he was almost 47 years old when he did that.

I think he is a smokin' guitarist, plus all the drum machine programming and bass is him as well. And even though he is unsigned etc it just goes to show how age really has little to do with it, it is all in your head.

So here is my friend Chris Hattingh and Jim Reindel with their shred duo Too Old To Rock, Too Dumb to quit( That is not them on the cover BTW ) and the acoustic album Unplugged and Toothless. The best I can describe it is that Reindel is more Satriani sounding and my bud is more Di Meola/Malmsteem. Check out my mate burn on the bridge in Senior Citizen Boogie and Arthritic Shredfest. Total poking fun at being older!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=111686

Incidentally, around Thanksgiving last year my friend drowned while surfing. Incredibly he was revived by the outstanding and unrelenting efforts of the Fire Dept, Paramedics and the ER a full HALF HOUR after he was pulled from the water with no vital signs, no pulse, no breathing. That's 30 minutes on the other side folks! A surfer fireman swam out and got him to the beach and started mouth-to-mouth etc on him which they kept up all the way to the ER. They hit him with the paddles so many times his sides were all bruised up. He was in Intensive Care for a few days, stayed in hospital about a month and was in in therapy for months and although he has no memory of even going surfing or what happened,he suffered no permanent brain damage and he has been recovering well, is back at his day job, driving again etc etc . However he is having to relearn the guitar to an extent. He remembers all the stuff it is just that his fingers have some numbness and don't move as efficiently as he would like, although he claims to be around 90% and improving.If anyone can turn something like this around it is my pal.

I am eagerly awaiting new music from my blessed friend when he feels comfortable enough to start recording in his home studio again. Somebody up there figured it was not time for him to leave this planet and gave him back the gift of life.

Because of everything he has endured,and because he is, like me, an older dude, and because this thread is about age, I wanted to post his stuff here to show that age has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for your time, hope you don't mind my story.

Well, it's no secret I turned 39 little more than a week ago. I'm really feeling it, too. My career is not where I'd like it and I've been coasting quite a bit. Haven't played a gig in a long time, either. But I don't feel old as a musician. I'll be playing everything from acoustic fingerstyle to AC/DC until I die. That's just a fact of life. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well this is indeed an encouraging thread! I just turned 50 and have recently returned to music after many years of just listening. What I'm having trouble figuring out is WHERE I might play? That is, the bigger clubs around here seem to draw a younger crowd--in fact most are DJ/hip-hop centered, as far as I can tell--and the local joints that have live music feature bands playing the moldiest of oldies (can you say "Horse with No Name???).

So, where does the 40+ crowd rock out? We can still play, but is there anyone out there who wants to hear us?

Jersey Jack

Originally posted by Jack Ax:

Well this is indeed an encouraging thread! I just turned 50 and have recently returned to music after many years of just listening. What I'm having trouble figuring out is WHERE I might play? That is, the bigger clubs around here seem to draw a younger crowd--in fact most are DJ/hip-hop centered, as far as I can tell--and the local joints that have live music feature bands playing the moldiest of oldies (can you say "Horse with No Name???).

So, where does the 40+ crowd rock out? We can still play, but is there anyone out there who wants to hear us?

Talk to Guitar55. He's got a band going in N.J. and he's about your age.

I'm kind of in the same situation here in L.I. So, this summer, I'll be going to lots of shows in the area.... and to see THE JAMES GANG!! YEAH!!

Well, I'll be 19 in a few weeks...but I'm sure I'll need a couple more years of practice until I get to your skill level, so if you ask me, you're probably more qualified to rock than I am :thu:

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Originally posted by Jack Ax:

...the local joints that have live music feature bands playing the moldiest of oldies (can you say "Horse with No Name???).

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Why let the young'uns have all the fun? Learn some Audioslave, some Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rollins Band, Primus - rock out, man! :D

Jack, think about some of these in your area: Eagles Clubs, Moose Clubs,Social Clubs, Car Clubs,Motorcycle Clubs (there are some very good people in Motorcycle Clubs by the way) Singles Clubs, Parents Without Partners clubs, Catholic Social Clubs, All kinds of Civic events (make a appointment with you cities or near by Cities - event directors) Ski Clubs,Democratic Party Clubs, Republican Clubs .etc.. ....just some ideas that work! taylor your set lists to a wide audience and Classic Rock always works, give them a great product and build your business reputation and you will have more gigs than you ever imagined..AND concentrate on your vocals!!!

I'm planning on a small club band right now actually... wanna start a 60's cover band - I'm in Jacksonville, Florida and wanna do Psychedelic, R&B, etc... Anyone close? Anyone remember the 60's? Stones, Yardbirds, Animals, Cream, Hendrix - ANYTHING - need a Van Morrison frontman (I sound like Dylan and off key to boot), bassist, and a skin man - possibly another guitarist with a love of the 60's sound - wow - the wife would surely crap! she'll start having flashbacks of our younger days - me never home, equipment stacked all over the living room, some guy no-one knows passed out in the bathroom... muhahaha! Seriously - anyone close with a bug to Rock and Roll again?? :cool:

actually I met a bassist awhile back - 60 year old Black Albino who's legally blind and was playing in a Praise Band I went to record (Video not audio) - after talking to him I found out he was born in Chitown and we both were brought up on Chicago Blues - Dude looked right on stage and actually made that bass cry for me... never knew a Bass cryed... he lived the blues - didn't just play it - know what I mean... I'm gonna find him this weekend... he said the Praise Band was cool but he'd like to jam with me on some ChiTown stuff ( I'm a Chicago Blues kinda guy). I told him Paul Butterfield was a hero of mine and BORN IN CHICAGO was one of my cover songs I do - we clicked... :thu:

"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Cool thread. Believe it or not I turned 40 on my last birthday and then decided to START playing (well, learning) guitar. Obviously I'll probably never get to the level some of you are at since most of you have a 20yr or more head start but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Bob

Welcome to the forum Bob! I am also a relative newbie - I started playing 2 years ago at the age of 45. There is rarely a day that goes by without some time with my guitar.

You'll find a great bunch of folks here with all kinds of experience. So set a spell, and welcome. :wave:

John

Archived