Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elevator Music

Ricardo.

I was mucking about with Minor 7th chords in my room (and melodies based off them) in my eternal search for Jazz (which I'll soon make a thread about) when my sister walked by and commented that it sounded like "elevator music."

Anyone else HATE that term? I find it extremely insulting to be dismissed as making music that fills boring moments in life :@

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's ok, a few days back my room mate mocked me about listening to the weather channel forcasts online because they have a pretty cool jazz guitar background track. He plays guitar too and I think he agreed in the end.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Yes, I hate that too. IMHO, some people just don't have the ears to distinguish different music. If it's not in their style of choice (or if the song is older than they are), it gets categorized and dismissed before they even bother to really listen. I'm sometimes amazed at what people think as "elevator" music. Hmmm...come to think of it, I can't remember ever riding an elevator with music. :confused:

On a related note, anytime I listen to Django, my wife will always comments that it sounds like "Mickey Mouse" music. I have to remind her that those early Mickey movies and Django's music were made around the same time, so those soundtracks were probably cutting-edge back then.

Paul

I'm in two minds about elevator music.

On the one hand, it's not very satisfying, musically.

On the other, I sort of admire it, 'cause it's a pretty specific, well defined genre.

I would think that there's a lot of ground rules be it in performing or recording elevator music.

Muzak (real "Muzak" as opposed to "music") is a carefully researched industrial tool. They work on stuff like the BPMs and so on to create or compile music that suits a given environment (elevators, restaurants, malls, factories).

For example, a BPM rate that's faster than the human heart tends to make people work harder. That's why so many people find military marches so uplifting. It's partially a matter of tempo.

I would imagine that "good" elevator music should instill a sense of calm in people (how many ppl are borderline claustrophobic?) as well as be unobstrusive and vaguely tuneful.

It's not a genre most ppl are mad about, but really, it's a sort of modern chamber music, isn't it? It's also a bastard cousin to ambient music as well.

So yeah... I'd love to make elevator music. Sounds like a good project for this weekend :):thu:

As far as jazz being elevator music, well that IS how some people perceive it. Not the loud and fast tunes, but the ballads. And I must admit, certain things like Jim Hall and Bill Evans duets struck me that way as a kid, whereas I enjoy them now!

I don't really mind having background music at a restaurant, ordinarily, and as far as elevators, I'm never in them long enough to care one way or the other!

Music as an aid to relaxation is quite valid, I think. Sometimes I like listening to something soft and pretty to unwind after work.. which doesn't have to be mindless Muzak, either!

Then again, at other times you want music to be exciting! The point being that there are many human moods and emotions, and I think music should serve all of them!

But no, I'm not trying to write and play mindless Muzak either!

Speak of Jim Hall - I saw him and Pat Metheny doing solos and duets on public TV last night. It was beautiful! And I recommend their duet album to jazz guitar fans.

Archived