Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Pacifica

MadStrum

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good guitar, but it won't truly quench a Strat GAS. As an owner of 2 Strats and several more upmarket Strat variants I feel qualified to say that very few lower priced guitars truly fill the Strat's shoes in terms of vesatility, playability, quality, and feel. A Corvette may quench a Ferrari yearning to a point, but not completely, particularly to the person in a cash postion to not skimp. So, in my somewhat spoiled view, buy the Strat if that's what you're after. It will also hold its value much better if you need to sell or trade up down the road.

If I had to start over, I'd either get a Strat or a Godin Freeway Classic, which is the first budget conscious guitar I've ever seen that would suit my needs. And, by a Strat, I mean an American one, as I feel the Godin blows even the other Fenders away.

There is nothing wrong with Yamaha, Ibanez, Washburn, and dozens of other makes after your business, but none will have the status of a Strat, unless you move upmarket to G&L, Sadowsky, Lull, Zion, etc., which are in the "boutique" range, in both price and quality.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Hi Bluesape, thanks for the reply... I don't really have to have a strat, just a guitar which will get me a somewhat stratty tone. But yeah, it seems like with the pacificas I get more bang for my buck, feature wise. The same price range will only get me a lower-range fender, with ordinary pickups and basswood body, and it's still more expensive.

Actually one of my primary concerns is the weight, because of my hurt-prone left shoulder.

Pier.

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

Pier, check out the Freeway before you buy anything. I don't think it's much more than the Yammy, but it really speaks to me like no Yammy or any Pacific Rim instrument ever has, and I've checked out thousands of guitars. It's one of my sick hobbies. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing04.gif I'm not saying don't buy the Yammy, but do take the time to make an informed purchase. :thu:

Originally posted by Bluesape:

...check out the Freeway before you buy anything. I don't think it's much more than the Yammy, but it really speaks to me like no Yammy or any Pacific Rim instrument ever has, and I've checked out thousands of guitars...

Got a link?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Yeah I know I have a godin lgsp90, great guitar. The freeway has a sort of ibanez vibe to it, which I'm not really into. I tried one briefly, I think it's really good, but it's overpriced where I live. (it is much more expensive than a exit 22) The shape of the higher end pacificas just caught my attention, u know, so I thought I would ask if anyone here has experience with them.

Pier.

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

i have previously owned 2 pacifica 812w's and a pac 311ms (tele style).

the 612v is a variation on the 812w of the past.

if memory serves me the 612v has a bridge JB humbucker and yammy single coils plus thier new bridge based on a wilinson type design.

i am a major fan of the higher end pacificas and they do (imho) give major strat vibe.

stupidity has caused me to no longer own my pacificas.

the only thing i have ever wished yamaha had offered to the pacifica line was a rounder fretboard radius and a maple fretboard.

great guitars. the older pac line (812w) used a 59 in the bridge and it was sweet. if you go for a 612v i seriously doulbt you would be disappointed.

i found i could get more strat tones than some of the new strats with the noiseless pickups. in my humble opinion you need alnico magnets in a single coil to sound like a strat. the fender noiseless do not employ alnico.

sorry to disagree with ya Reif. but i love the Yamaha's.

Originally posted by Picker:

Originally posted by Bluesape:

...check out the Freeway before you buy anything. I don't think it's much more than the Yammy, but it really speaks to me like no Yammy or any Pacific Rim instrument ever has, and I've checked out thousands of guitars...

Got a link?
Godin freeway at 12th fret

don't forget caprae has a freeway for sale at a great price!

i should be more specific , i think the Yamaha can nail real strat tones.

but i also have major wood for a freeway classic in cognacburst with maple board.

the Godin freeway is a major honey!

Peir don't fear the freeway, the only ibanez like connection is the hum/single/hum pickup setup.

i kind of prefer the humbucker in the neck as opposed to the regular strat setup of single/single/ hum.

but you do need to try each out.

if the freeway is too high in your area i can understand your hesitance. don't forget Caprae has a freeway for a great price in the spam forsale post.

Let's put it this way. The Freeway Classic is my next purchase, and I own quite a few "HOLY GRAIL" instruments already. I can't imagine why Caprae is selling his, but if it had the maple board, it would likely already be sitting in my collection. :thu: If you're ok with the rosewood board - and you must be if you're considering the Pacifica, Caprae's guitar, at $300, should be the handsdown winner IMHO.

your tellin me..

previous 'Zan geetars include:

74 SG

Yamaha SG1000, SG500

Yamaha Pac 812w, 721, 311ms, 604

Cort MGM 1 (matt guitar murphy)

Godin SD, SDxt

Fender strat special

Yamaha rgx 721dg

not big buck stuff, but the SG1000 was a keeper for sure. not that the Pacifica's weren't but they still make them so it isn't hard to find one.

Mmmmmmmm.....

I've previously owned:

WashburnD10C acoustic

Washburn Strat type

Larivee' Tele type - EMG humbuckers

Signiature Strat type - 3 active singles

Gibson LP Goldtop - old, beat up

B.C. Rich Eagle - original hand built, ebony, neck through - a keeper

Travis Bean early model - serial #125

Amazing Musical Instrument Company electric - stolen

Targa minibody electric - cool little piece.

Fender Bassman 50 head with 2x15 cab

Fender M-80 amp

Peavey 100 watt PA with 4x10 columns

I'm happier with what I've got now, but I'd like to have everything back but the 2 Washburns - they were OK, but I don't miss 'em.

i think the freeway is a little lighter.

the pacifica is alder and the freeway uses poplar wings on a bigleaf maple center. the freeway is nicely carved on the rear and saves a bit more weight.

as far as necks, the freeway is the winner there.

mmmm.. sexy maple...Oops sorry

Archived