Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm thinking about getting a Vox Amp...

Squ

Probably an AC30... I want to have another wide range of tones available to record with and maybe to use it live. I want it for both the clean sound and to throw some distortion in front it (maybe a treble booster ala Brian May). What are your experience with Vox Amps, or AC 30s?

Through a quick check on musiciansfriend.com there's one AC 30 with 2x12 speakers thats $1,000, then there's another one with "Blue celestion speakers" that like $1,500. Do you guys know if the difference matters, or how much it matters?

And also, after a quick check on ebay, "vintage" AC30s seem to go for over $2,000 so I think I'll just ignore those and get something new or used (but not "vintage").

Eh??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the AC30 CC (the one for a grand) is a great amp, and worth every penny.

the celestion blues are an upgrade speaker, i haven't had the chance to play through them yet, but have yet to hear a negative comment about them. you can always buy them or the weber variation later on, don't know if it's worth the premium $$ from the get-go.

i'm hoping to score an AC15 this month :thu:

I had an AC 30, heavily modified and I loved it: it was small, portable and had both a clean and a very distorted sound.

When it came out it was dubbed AC 30 "Shadows", (while the AC 100 was "Beatles"), and actually I have seen pictures of Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch using it (this is to give an idea of how clean it can sound). However, compared with a Fender (I had also a Super Reverb at the time) it had a warmer, "darker" and less metallic sound.

From the Internet:

Electric guitarists often speak of the Fender sound or the Marshall sound when referring to amplifiers. And these amps certainly provide distinct coloration to the amplified signal, with different, but equally musical tones.

But bands leading the early British invasion, beginning with the Beatles, used other amps, the best known of which was the Vox. At various times Vox amps were used by The Animals, Rolling Stones, The Hollies, Manfred Mann, and the Dave Clark Five, among others. Many guitarists trying to emulate the Beatles heavy guitar tone on the Revolver album could never get that over-the-top sound on songs like Taxman, or She Said, or the dreamy Tomorrow Never Knows even when they used effects pedals. The secret to the sound is a cranked Vox AC-30 amp.

The holy grail among VOX collectors today is the AC-30 Top Boosted Twin; the most sought after VOX is a AC-30 factory added Top Boost model with a candy apple red control panel, two blue VOX Celestion Alnico 12" speakers (which were specially designed Celestion G12M's) and brown fret cloth. VOX originally introduced the AC-30 without the extra Top Boost feature and later added this feature as a "return to the factory" upgrade. These AC-30 models have the extra bass and treble controls added to the rear panel. Later models were modified to include the Top Boost feature in the control panel proper.

The officially released models are as follows: AC-30/4 Twin, AC-30/6 Twin, AC-30/6 TB Twin, AC-30/6 Twin Bass (2x15" speakers), AC-30/6 TB Super Twin, AC-30 Super Twin Reverb, AC-30 TB Super Twin Reverb as well as colored vynide versions of the twin models.

Those seeking an original AC-30 must shop carefully, and with more than a little knowledge. The collectible AC-30s are somewhat rare and often difficult to distinguish from later versions. Fortunately, as part of the retro and reissue craze of the 90s, the AC-30 has been reissued in its original design, with a sound very close to the highly soughtafter originals.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/ct/amp/uk/ac30.gif

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Archived