Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phrygian

metalguy4000

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got busted for transporting harmonic minors over the Phrygian border and gettin' Medieval on thei' @$$3$...

Seriously, I can appreciate modal excursions, but I don't consider myself all that much of a lead/solo player for the most part, I mostly dig finger-style chordal work when I play. I've definitely got to work up my lead chops.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

See, as far as listening, I started out being all into hard-rock and metal- back in the late '70s and early '80s- and gradually got more and more into all kinds of other types of music, starting with other genres of Rock 'n' Pop, and then Classical and Blues, and on to most everything else etc. etc.

I was kinda pushed into being the nominated "lead"-guitarist for my friend's 8th-grade semi-imaginary Metal band (mostly 'cause I was super hyperactive, super skinny, and had super long hair when and where nobody else looked or acted like that), BEFORE I even learned so much as a chord or a lick. This began an @$$-backwards journey in the dark on the guitar!

Yhup, I was a dufas. ;) Still am a bit dufey from time to time.

Looking back, I know I really shoulda just taken some real lessons and been on my way. But, I kinda like a lot of the more unique aspects of my personal "style"- which is NOT to make any excuses for $ucky lame innability to actually play, only to say that I don't regret being where I am now with it.

I've generally tended to put off working on lead chops partly cause I was more into chordal harmony anyways, AND- well, 'cause I $uck3d at it, too... ;):D But I've been working a little on it, at least playing a little of that more often and getting my fingers more used to it.

I don't know nuthin' about no phrygian modes, man. I'm a phrygian doofus. :P:P

Just kidding...isn't it amazing how you can take the same series of notes, just start playing on a different one and make it sound so different? The relationship between human ear and brain is an amazing thing.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Ever play chord progressions built from harmonized modes, that is, all chord-intervals use only notes found in the chosen mode of the given key? Way cool sound...

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Ever play chord progressions built from harmonized modes, that is, all chord-intervals use only notes found in the chosen mode of the given key? Way cool sound...

Yes, but it makes me think WAAAAY too much....at least if you're improvising.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

"Yes, but it makes me think WAAAAY too much....at least if you're improvising."

Yeah; I pretty much make things up in a way I think of as kinda like "sculpting"- finding the melody and/or bass notes that I hear in my head, then figuring out what else falls into place in between there- removing whatever isn't what it is that I'm uncovering as I go along. Major/minor/7ths/9ths/etc. all kinda intuitively come along without my really thinking about it or even realizing...

Afterwards, I'll figure out what I've got. I usually don't bother with "theory"- at least thinking "theory"- untill then, doing most of the 'composition' more or less "by ear", unless I get stuck and don't have any idea where I want to go from a given point. Then I'll try some angle exemplifying some "theory" device to find some inspiration, some spark for an idea...

In the case of harmonizing modes, etc., I'd have to start pretty much with looking at it as an exercise in theory, since I haven't exactly memorized modal harmony in any given key, let alone all of 'em! But my usual M.O. would take over again before too long, after sussing-out the harmony (stacked-3rds moving up the modal-scale) and a few grips...

Originally posted by metalguy4000:

I love the Phrygian mode. Also harmonic minor. Sure do. Sound so egytian/medieval. I love the guitar. man oh man. :rolleyes::D:D:D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=471559

Al Di Meola is the King of the Phrygian mode. If you want some good examples, check out some of his tunes.

Here's one good example:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/al_di_meola_guitar_licks.html

I like the Phrygian but I mostly use it as a lead in to the Lydian. Likewise, I'll use a Locrian as a lead in to the Ionian.

Harmonic Minors, I admittedly don't use that much in my actual, let loose, improv playing. It's not something I go for automatically yet. The Melodic Minor is what I use a little more which sharpens the 6th as well as the 7th.

Modes in general are cool. They help me unlock the fretboard a little.

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

I think using modal progressions gets overlooked by a lot of people. It's a great way to write some music with an interesting twist. Of course, some people do it, but don't realize they are doing it.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but another important point is that you don't have to use the scale notes to solo. You can use them to create single note rhythm parts, riffs and melodies.

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

Archived