Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brad Nowell...10 Years Gone

guitarisawayoflife21

Some of you may have heard of Bradley Nowell and some of you may have not. He played guitar and fronted the trio Sublime. May 25th, 2006 is the 10 year anniversery of his death.I believe that he deserves the cover of the May 2006 issue. For those of you that dont know who he is here is his story.

When he was 10 years old and living in Long Beach California, his parents divorced. When he turned 11 he moved in with his father and they took a trip to the Virgin Islands,where he heard reggae music for the first time. This music inspired him to come back to Long Beach and teach himself how to play the guitar.

Since the music scene in Long Beach was very diverse, he got into many styles of music, including punk rock. When he graduated from high school he went to college at U.C. Santa Cruz. He attended school for 3 years, but then dropped out to focus on his music. He formed a band with college buddy and bassist Eric Wilson and drummer Bud Gaugh, and they named the band Sublime. They played an interesting and genre defying mix of reggae, ska, punk, hip hop, dub, funk, and heavy metal.

They played shows for the love of their music, only asking for free beer in exchange for their services. When they did make some money from their gigs they often spent it on beer and pot. Two years after they got their start, they recorded their first full length album, 40 Oz. To Freedom. Lacking a record deal, they would sell this album out of the back of their tour van. They managed to sell 60,000 cd's this way.

Although they were one of the biggest bands in Southern California they still had not landed a record deal. Brad desperatly sought after one, but noone was willing to sign Sublime. Brad was lost and became desperate. He looked to the great rock stars of the past and all of his idols to find out what they had done differently than him. The answer to that question was ultimatly the one that would end his life. They all did heroin. Brad started shooting heroin to "boost up his creative thinking".

A local area music station had bought a copy of "40 Oz. To Freedom" in 1994, where they played the song "Date Rape". The song became a huge hit and MCA records asked the band to come in and discuss a recording contract. They got the deal and Brad's dream became a reality.

During one of his tours he met a woman named Troy Dendekker. They dated for a while and then had a son, Jakob James Nowell, in June of 95'.

In June 1995 the band went in to the studio to record their self titled album. The pressures of recording the album proved to much for Nowell, and he spun into a heroin induced abyss. He checked himself into rehab and 6 months later he came back home, clean and sober, and ready to finish the album. He also got engaged to Troy. To ring in the new year he decided to shoot up a little heroin.

On May 18th, 1996 Brad and Troy got married. Two days later Sublime went on tour. On May 25th, 1996, the band was ready to leave for the next gig. Eric and Bud went to Brad's hotel room and knocked. Theyre was no answer. They opened the door. Brad's dalmation, Lou-Dog ran over to where Brad lay sprawled out on the floor and licked his face. Brad had died of a herion overdose, at age 28.

MCA released "Sublime" later that year and it has since gone platnium. There have been a string of hit songs off of this album but Brad was never around to see the sucsess his album had had. Over the years MCA released a few albums worth of Sublime's material and all records have sold well.

If you have never heard of this man or this band I urge you to check them out. They are unlike any other band in history and Brads guitar style is original unto itself.

If you have read all of this all I can say is thank you for bearing with me. Now let me get to the point. Brad Nowell's music and his guitar style have influenced countless musicians today, and IMO a few of Sublimes records are some of the greatest albums ever released. I think that giving Brad the cover story of the May 2006 issue of GP on the ten year anniversary of his death would be greatly appreciated by all the fans of his music and even the people that arent fans of his music would be able to appreciate a great fallen guitar player. This man never recieved recognition for his work during his life, and I believe he deserves a little bit now.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a nice story. I never cared for the band or his guitar playing but agree that it would be a nice thing for the fans. Better than another SLipknot issue... On the other side of the coin in a couple of months a Kurt Cobain cover would be appropiate, although there are plenty of folks sick to death of Cobain/Nirvana. Cobains influence on guitar was greater than Brad Nowell's, but 12 years? When does it end? When the rest of rock and guitar move on I suppose. It's up to the trend winds to blow us toward this shore or that shore and right now the natives speak emo. Why hasn't the machine given us another mainstream skacore acct? Where is this bands legacy?
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

I dunno...I kind of disagree. I think there are probably a hell of a bunch of other guitarists that are much more deserving. What you have described is, for the most part, a nearly completely unknown garage band guitar player who was really nothing more than an alcoholic and a heroin addict who finally killed himself with dope. I've heard the music...it's OK, but I'm not overly impressed...I don't really see the influence on other guitarists (at least I can't personally think of any known, big-name guitarists that were really influenced by him). I don't know of any "ground breaking" techniques that he brought to the forefront (ala EVH) or any barn-burning guitar playing attributed to him (ala SRV)... His guitar playing is pretty good...nothing spectacular. What is it, exactly, that makes him deserving of being honored by being featured on the cover of GP?

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

I dunno...I kind of disagree. I think there are probably a hell of a bunch of other guitarists that are much more deserving. What you have described is, for the most part, a nearly completely unknown garage band guitar player who was really nothing more than an alcoholic and a heroin addict who finally killed himself with dope.

I must say that Sublime is nothing short of awesome. Their songs, especially on their self-titled are just plain awesome, and I think it's amazing that in these first few responses there hasn't been a lot of recognition for his music.

Sublime is not an unknown garage band. Sublime is HUGE (at least for my generation). I think Sublime is great because it has something for everyone. Hip-hop guys, punks, reggae fans, people who just like good music. I'm sorry, but calling Brad an "unknown garage band player" is just ignorance. I strongly encourage you to purchase or otherwise get their self-titled album and give it listen.

All that being said, I do not think of Brad as an influential guitar player, nor do I think of Sublime as a guitar band. I do think people unfamiliar with sublime's music should CHECK IT OUT!

I was unfamiliar with Sublime, so I decided to give them a listen, fully prepared to hate them. I did'nt. I found the songs and sounds to be likeable and interesting. Nothing earth-shattering here, though, and I'm sure there are more deserving guitarists to pay tribute to.

Originally posted by Squ:

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

I dunno...I kind of disagree. I think there are probably a hell of a bunch of other guitarists that are much more deserving. What you have described is, for the most part, a nearly completely unknown garage band guitar player who was really nothing more than an alcoholic and a heroin addict who finally killed himself with dope.

I must say that Sublime is nothing short of awesome. Their songs, especially on their self-titled are just plain awesome, and I think it's amazing that in these first few responses there hasn't been a lot of recognition for his music.

Sublime is not an unknown garage band. Sublime is HUGE (at least for my generation). I think Sublime is great because it has something for everyone. Hip-hop guys, punks, reggae fans, people who just like good music. I'm sorry, but calling Brad an "unknown garage band player" is just ignorance. I strongly encourage you to purchase or otherwise get their self-titled album and give it listen.

All that being said, I do not think of Brad as an influential guitar player, nor do I think of Sublime as a guitar band. I do think people unfamiliar with sublime's music should CHECK IT OUT!

Squ,

I've listened to their music. I don't need to waste money on their CDs. I know how it sounds, I've listened to several cuts. It's OK, but that's it...just OK. It's a whole lot of recycled reggae, funk and blues licks...so what? My opinion remains the same. They were a garage band....a good one, but really no more than that. Just like Guns and Roses was....just sort of a "Yeah, OK...so what?" kind of thing. That's my opinion, and I don't have to change it because you disagree with it. And, the fact that you disagree does not make me incorrect. If I said it was night and you disagree and say it's day, that doesn't make it any less dark outside. You have your opinion of them and I have mine. Yours is just as valid as mine and mine is just as valid as yours. I wouldn't have made a judgement on their music if I had never heard it. In fact, I downloaded some of their songs and listened to it for a while. I can tolerate it...I can take or leave it. It certainly (IMHO) does not rise to the level of "awesome". I certainly wouldn't spend money on their CDs. Brad was no superstar guitar player. He was OK, but that's about it (IMHO)...there are probably lots of guys playing guitar in garage bands that can play circles around him.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Obviously we have different definitions of "garage band."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_band says:

An amateur musical act which rehearses and performs in garages and other private places, and which is either not interested in, or not sufficiently talented for, public performances or a recording career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime has some stuff about their chart positions, such as several top 40 hits, a number 1 hit, a platinum album ETC.

Gun N' Roses has had a little commercial success too. It's not all about how hot the guitar player is. You may not like them and consider them a "garage band" somehow, but I find your use of that terminology very confusing. Also, I am disagreeing with the notion of him being recognized as a smokin' guitar player, as previously stated. Thus: I am agreeing with you on that subject.

I imagine we have the same definitions of night/day though.

Originally posted by Squ:

Obviously we have different definitions of "garage band."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_band says:

An amateur musical act which rehearses and performs in garages and other private places, and which is either not interested in, or not sufficiently talented for, public performances or a recording career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime has some stuff about their chart positions, such as several top 40 hits, a number 1 hit, a platinum album ETC.

Gun N' Roses has had a little commercial success too. It's not all about how hot the guitar player is. You may not like them and consider them a "garage band" somehow, but I find your use of that terminology very confusing. Also, I am disagreeing with the notion of him being recognized as a smokin' guitar player, as previously stated. Thus: I am agreeing with you on that subject.

I imagine we have the same definitions of night/day though.

Yeah, I guess I use the term "garage band" a little loosely. In this case (and in the case of Guns and Roses) I use it to describe a band that made it to some level of commercial success in spite of themselves and in spite of an apparent lack of talent commensurate with that level of success. It's a band that really, if you guaged them by raw talent, shouldn't make it past playing Holiday Inn bars....but somehow did anyway.

I actually think that Sublime is a little better band than Guns~n~Roses was. However, (inexplicably) Buns~n~Noses enjoyed quite a bit more commercial success. As far as being unknown, if I mentioned the name Sublime to everybody nearly none of them recognize the name. Nearly all of them recognize Guns~n~Roses.

I know what an actual garage band is....I've been in quite a few of them in my time... :D

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

• 2 months later...

maybe guns-n-roses had more commercial success because they had a chance to tour and make themselves known during their time? ever think about that? Sublime is one of the most popular bands in my generation,if i ask anyone who they are they will know (ever hear of a song called SANTERIA!?), and to say that they are not influential is a crock. If they're so unknown then how come bands like no doubt, los lobos, ozomatli, pennywise, jack johnson, (the legendary) halfpint, fishbone, and g love are playing covers on the sublime tribute album? I myself am heavily influenced by them, the way they mixed so many different styles has never been done so well in my opinion. they single handedly started their own genre of this punk/ska/reggae/metal/hiphop/funk without even trying. If you haven't noticed, there are tons of bands out there who owe sublime for their style. Go check out Slightly Stoopid, who were actually discovered by Brad and signed at age 16, try not telling me they are not influenced by Sublime. Oh yeah and if you haven't heard of them, try listening to some non-commercialized bands who get by more than fine with just great music, and who pick record labels not for the money, but for the creative freedom. Oh yeah, let's also not forget that Mike Watt, Petra Haden, and Steven Perkins are also all on the Sublime tribute album. I mean I know that Bradley wasn't the greatest guitarist who ever lived, but let's give some credit where it's due....

P.S. let's see what David Hidalgo (Los Lobos) had to say about Sublime......

"When I heard them I was like, 'Nobody's doing music like this. Nobody's singing like that,'" Los Lobos' David Hidalgo said backstage of late Sublime frontman Bradley Nowell before the show. "And then as soon as you started to hear the music and get into it, Bradley dies. It made it hard to listen to the music after that"

From an Article by ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE

• 1 month later...

Ok folks, let me sum it up...and when I say sum it up, I mean write a book. So uhh, sorry in advance.

First off, I *NEVER* (read: NEVER) post on these things. I registered here specifically for the reason of leaving this message about Bradley Nowell. It's the least I can do.

So, without further adoo: Bradley Nowell wasn't the best guitar player on the planet. However, what Bradley did was represent the 'every-man' musician/songwriter better than any of his peers. He wasn't about speed, technique, scales, tone, or expensive gear. He was about hard work, luck, and heart. He was the rough mutt who always wagged his tail, even on the worst of days.

At the time of his death, I'd never listened to a Sublime song but was nonetheless saddened by his story and wanted to know more. So I listened. I listened for a few years to the recordings that I could get my hands on...some of which I didn't particularly care for (I'm not exactly a ska fan). One day, a friend of mine gave me a copy of "Bradley Nowell and Friends" which is a lo-fi acoustic-themed disc of some of his early recordings. I listened to it and thought "I can do that! Those are easy!" and soon enough, I was. I'm pretty modest about my playing, but I didn't know I could sing...let alone sing and play like he did. I could barely walk and chew gum. Had I not heard these early basic recordings, I'd have never tried to do what it is that I do now. I discovered something in me that I'm now very proud of but seldom share. Thanks, Brad!

Three days after observing the tenth anniversary of Brad's demise, I reflected on the fact that I outlived Brad Nowell. I sometimes get kind of stuck upon the "they're even greater after they're gone" way of thinking...I mean after all, my dad bought me my first guitar the day SRV died. But like SRV, Brad Nowell's legacy isn't merely his untimely and tragic departure from this world, it's a tribute to the talents and gifts that were shared while they were here. Those who were inspired will never forget, and will always be appreciative. Thanks for reading, and thanks to those who give Brad (and others) the credit that is due.

Wow. I cant believe this resurfaced. I think cubedweller summed it up great, alot better than I did. I provided Brad Nowell's story, but he provided the reasons for me posting the story. He conveyed what I was feeling at the time extremely well. I wasnt exactly able to put it into words, but cubedweller pretty much hit the nail on the head. Thats was basically the message I was trying to send with the original post.

Archived