Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a music bizz question.

A few weeks ago I was approached by someone who runs a company that gets bands airplay by going to radiostations and present the bands and their music. They asked me to send a CD and they will see what they can do for me. My question : We don't have something like that here in the Netherlands,... What do these guys do exactly,what does it cost and most important,....Does this really work?? They claim that the can get me airplay and that 90% of the bands they work with got signed and have recorddeals now. Did any of you ever work this way? to me it's all new

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]A few weeks ago I was approached by someone who runs a company that gets bands airplay by going to radiostations and present the bands and their music. They asked me to send a CD and they will see what they can do for me. My question : We don't have something like that here in the Netherlands,... What do these guys do exactly,what does it cost and most important,....Does this really work?? They claim that the can get me airplay and that 90% of the bands they work with got signed and have recorddeals now. Did any of you ever work this way? to me it's all new[/b][/quote]What they might do is put your stuff on the table and see if folkes like it. If they do and you "hit" then you might get a "percentage" of a bunch of money and some new free equiptment that you will owe money for. you would then tour and hear your stuff everywhere. you could be in a magizine and if your tracks did well you might get a great big picture of your self at the front door of the LA office where EVERYONE sees it. you would then have to pay that guy that helped you. you might say too much and he gets mad cause he is all coked up. yeah.. that's it. that's the ticket..He might then RIDE your COATAILS and steal your money and backstab you with bad advice and give you enormous amounts of drugs and then put you in your teste verde and tell you to "follow " him to the malibu place and then you would wrap that beautiful car around a mack truck which would get you arrested while you were in surgery and cost you way more than the twenty-five plus three points and four for the team and two "for old age, heh,heh,heh".. percent that you had to pay him for him getting the radio guys to play something they would probably have played if you sent it to them in the first place.and then it could all come apart when they won't answer your calls,your bank account might be empty, even the two offshore accounts and the safty deposit box with the chunk of; well it would be empty too and you finally talk a new guard to let you in and your picture is a different one of the next newest item and sarah the sweet will not let you see ol' baldy and then she might coldly call: "security Stat to the front office" and never look at you the whole time like you were so much sweat to be wiped away and then maybe you would run out and roar away on your twenty year old two wheeler and then maybe you have to stop down the road. You might have to blow your nose and wipe the water drops from the "inside" of your goggles and maybe before you take off towards your "real" home maybe you turn around and flip off that town and maybe you say something too but there is no one but the wind to hear just what you said..or not,you never know I'm jus' guessin anyway...

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Boosh, CAREFUL. There are MANY scammers who prey upon young bands. A few "indicators" of scamola. - Are they asking for "money up front"? - 90% of the bands got "signed"... ummm who? Anyone you know? Can they give you verifible references? - How did they learn of you... how do they know you and your music enough to "get the radio to play your songs"? - Radio airplay in the US is TIGHTLY controlled except for very minor markets and college radio. VERY FEW places can program their own music, and fewer still can do it with music that's not ALREADY popular. - Have they sent you a written agreement? Have you had a lawyer or someone experienced in business review it? The smartest scammers know how effective praise and verbal support can be. Saying your music is going to be a "hit" is hard to dispute about your own stuff... it all sounds a little too weird to me. I think a similar spam hits the boards here every few months... usually detected quickly and dealt with harshly. Good luck and be safe.

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by arellspencer: [b] [quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]A few weeks ago I was approached by someone who runs a company that gets bands airplay by going to radiostations and present the bands and their music. They asked me to send a CD and they will see what they can do for me. My question : We don't have something like that here in the Netherlands,... What do these guys do exactly,what does it cost and most important,....Does this really work?? They claim that the can get me airplay and that 90% of the bands they work with got signed and have recorddeals now. Did any of you ever work this way? to me it's all new[/b][/quote]What they might do is put your stuff on the table and see if folkes like it. If they do and you "hit" then you might get a "percentage" of a bunch of money and some new free equiptment that you will owe money for. you would then tour and hear your stuff everywhere. you could be in a magizine and if your tracks did well you might get a great big picture of your self at the front door of the LA office where EVERYONE sees it. you would then have to pay that guy that helped you. you might say too much and he gets mad cause he is all coked up. yeah.. that's it. that's the ticket..He might then RIDE your COATAILS and steal your money and backstab you with bad advice and give you enormous amounts of drugs and then put you in your teste verde and tell you to "follow " him to the malibu place and then you would wrap that beautiful car around a mack truck which would get you arrested while you were in surgery and cost you way more than the twenty-five plus three points and four for the team and two "for old age, heh,heh,heh".. percent that you had to pay him for him getting the radio guys to play something they would probably have played if you sent it to them in the first place.and then it could all come apart when they won't answer your calls,your bank account might be empty, even the two offshore accounts and the safty deposit box with the chunk of; well it would be empty too and you finally talk a new guard to let you in and your picture is a different one of the next newest item and sarah the sweet will not let you see ol' baldy and then she might coldly call: "security Stat to the front office" and never look at you the whole time like you were so much sweat to be wiped away and then maybe you would run out and roar away on your twenty year old two wheeler and then maybe you have to stop down the road. You might have to blow your nose and wipe the water drops from the "inside" of your goggles and maybe before you take off towards your "real" home maybe you turn around and flip off that town and maybe you say something too but there is no one but the wind to hear just what you said..or not,you never know I'm jus' guessin anyway...[/b][/quote]arellspencer, the Jack Kerouac of the SSS? :D
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

[quote]Originally posted by guitplayer: [b]Boosh, CAREFUL. There are MANY scammers who prey upon young bands. A few "indicators" of scamola. - Are they asking for "money up front"? - 90% of the bands got "signed"... ummm who? Anyone you know? Can they give you verifible references? - How did they learn of you... how do they know you and your music enough to "get the radio to play your songs"? - Radio airplay in the US is TIGHTLY controlled except for very minor markets and college radio. VERY FEW places can program their own music, and fewer still can do it with music that's not ALREADY popular. - Have they sent you a written agreement? Have you had a lawyer or someone experienced in business review it? The smartest scammers know how effective praise and verbal support can be. Saying your music is going to be a "hit" is hard to dispute about your own stuff... it all sounds a little too weird to me. I think a similar spam hits the boards here every few months... usually detected quickly and dealt with harshly. Good luck and be safe.[/b][/quote]-They don't ask money upfront and I have a list of the bands that got signed. -The executive who contacted me used to work for TommyBoy music and handled accounts of House of Pain.Public Enemy and Cypress Hill there. -They contacted me 'cause they heard the music on my website. -They will send me anything I want and are fully cooperative,my sister has two degrees in Law and is a lawyer soon. -my songs are registered I guess it couldn't hurt but I'm still wondering how much this all is gonna cost. We're talking about more or less 300radiostations which they work with. I have a list of those so I can allways check that. boosh

[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]I guess it couldn't hurt but I'm still wondering how much this all is gonna cost. [/b][/quote]If he offers you any of your own publishing for the next 6 years or so consider yourself lucky,and it will come up just when you think things are going great.Then,after he tells you that you can't record at home because your equipment isn't "Pro" enough and that he'll lay out the money for a "Pro" studio,and oh,just sign this,it's nothing,don't even bother to read it.Old story.Things never change,just the approach sometimes.Unless this guy is offering you a M. Jackson deal,your better off selling your stuff yourself,and if it starts to pick up you can make distribution deals,then you'll have leverage to deal with larger labels,but without it your in for a big lesson.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I will never give up the rights of my work and won't record in a big studio cause I simply wouldn't know how to create my music in there. Well what I'm going to do is send these guys a CD of my own and see what they're gonna offer me. I'll get back on this is soon as things start to evolve.

[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]I have a music bizz question. [/b][/quote]How dare you post a music related question on this forum! Who do you think you are?!! Music related!!! What do you think this is? A MUSIC FORUM?!! Take your staff and crochets elsewhere and NEVER pollute this forum again with your 'mamby pamby' MUSIC RELATED QUESTIONS or I'll be forced to contaminate you water supply with the contents of a jar of Vegemite!! :D :D :D
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

Archived