Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

God Bless my Brothers and Sisters!!!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [b] [quote] The United Nations Security Council has not lived up to its responsibilities so we will rise to ours [/quote]This was a good one. :thu: [/b][/quote]Not written by George, though. CLASSIFIEDS, Real Estate, downtown D.C., furnished: Big beautiful White House. Great location. Comes w/ A/C, parking, cable TV, security system, the most powerful army in the history of humanity. Special features include oval-shaped home office, gourmet kitchen, and a large contingent of the most talented speech writers in the nation who can create the illusion that even the most toungue-tied inhabitant can sound presidential. One drawback: THE VIEWS.... -Peace, Love, and Brittanylip

[quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [b]And MLK didnt come up with "Free at last". What is your point?[/b][/quote]that the quote Guitplayer attributed to GW Bush was not, in fact, written by GW Bush. Although we're not talking about MLK in this thread, I was under the impression that he wrote his own speeches, and is considered one of the greatest orators of the century. Certainly Homer Simpson, who is quoted above, writes all his own material, and is nobody's empty suit. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

[quote]Originally posted by Brittanylips: [b] [quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [b]And MLK didnt come up with "Free at last". What is your point?[/b][/quote]that the quote Guitplayer attributed to GW Bush was not, in fact, written by GW Bush. Although we're not talking about MLK in this thread, I was under the impression that he wrote his own speeches, and is considered one of the greatest orators of the century. Certainly Homer Simpson, who is quoted above, writes all his own material, and is nobody's empty suit. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips[/b][/quote]MLK did indeed write his speeches. But if you read or listen to the, "I Have A Dream", speech, you'll see MLK says; "When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing [b]in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"[/b] So yes, he wrote the speech. But he attributed the quote to the anonymous author(s) of the song.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Philter: [b]"I'm saddened that the president failed so miserably at diplomacy that we are now forced into war" Senate Minority Leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.)[/b][/quote]Yeah.. cause Tommy's a hell of a diplomat. Boy, if he had addressed the U.N. everything would be different.... :rolleyes: Yeah... right.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote] So yes, he wrote the speech. But he attributed the quote to the anonymous author(s) of the song. [/quote]This is what I heard. The "Free at last" part was a song. He did alot of good in his time.

This is getting a little silly isn't it? When was the last time any politician wrote their own speech? C'mon, it's totally fair to debate the message and delivery but the words? Even if he wrote it himself, I'm sure he would have gone through multiple drafts which is really no different than having someone else put it together. It's just more efficient to have some speech writer put the words together so that the Prez can concentrate on his job - the strategic direction of the country. In the same vein, who was the last really good public speaker? One with passion and fire, who could truly motivate. It seems to me that we really haven't had one in quite a while. All politics and content aside, who has been a really good speaker? Bush Jr? Always looks uptight to me - like a deer in the headlights. Gore? No, always seemed to be talking down while lacking in credibility. Clinton? Good presentation but I always felt like he was trying too hard to sell me something. Especially when he used his "finger of sincerity". Perot? Pretty good but came off as a bit of a quack. Bush Sr? Came off too much like a CIA director. No sincerity. Reagan? Damned good. No doubt the Hollywood training paid off. Carter? Total wish wash. Ford? Not too bad but fumbled a lot. Nixon? Looked too sleazy. Kennedy? Damned good. MLK? One of the best ever. Malcom X? Outstanding. But look at Hitler, that guy could fire up a crowd. Churchill, very moving. Who else? Who am I missing? Do we really have to go back 20 years or more to find a leader who was able to present well? BTW, back to the original subject, I too, wish our soldiers only the best and hope they come home safely.

[quote]Originally posted by PBBPaul: [b]This is getting a little silly isn't it? When was the last time any politician wrote their own speech? C'mon, it's totally fair to debate the message and delivery but the words? [/b][/quote]Fair enough. However, in the case of GW Bush, it is particularly annoying that a powerful phrase is attributed to someone who can barely put a sentence together. -PL&B

[quote]Originally posted by Philter: [b]When's the last time a president could barely [i]read[/i] the speech his writers handed him?[/b][/quote]:) When's the last time a President couldn't get into the University of Texas when judged on his own merits, and was subsequently admitted to Yale ONLY through Yale's then over-riding policy of alumni privalege? - Peace, Love, Lux et Veritatus, and Brittanylips

Archived