Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Broadway Musicians on Strike

Here'e the article: http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/07/broadway.musicians.ap/index.html It's pretty obvious that I, and most of the folks here, would side with the musicians. (I hope!) The article says: In negotiations last week, the producers proposed the number of musicians required for the large Broadway theaters be reduced to seven. The minimums at those large theaters currently range from 24 to 26. I play synth, but I can't see it as being a good thing that canned music could take the place of live musicians on Broadway. Ticket prices are already through the roof. With fewer musicians playing, and more recorded music taking their place, these shows won't be the same. Are revenues from Brodway shows down so much that they have to do this, or are they simply being greedy? Again, from the article: Theater producers "are not going to reduce ticket prices. They're just going to get rid of musicians to add to their pockets. That's all this is about," said Marshall Coid, an onstage violin soloist for the musical "Chicago." --- Anybody have any ideas on this?
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I'm definately on the musicians side but I wonder if strikes really work any more. I think the real problem for working musicians is that the general public just doesn't give a crap. People are perfectly happy with pre-recorded music, synth/sampled music, etc. I think it comes down to this: Are people that go to broadway shows going to stop going because the orchestra is 7 instead of 27? Or 1 with a synth/sampler rig? I don't think so. And until the [i]audiences[/i] go "on strike", the show producers and theatre owners aren't going to give a crap either. [i]Maybe[/i] if the stage actors union, stage hands union, sound & lighting people all went on strike too, in support of the musicians, then maybe something positive would come from it.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

This is horrible! Yes I side with the musicians. I will be in New York soon and coming from Scotland I sure as hell would hope to find REAL musicians playing LIVE on Broadway rather than canned music. I dont really mind paying big prices for a Broadway show, but I would hate to see a show without all the performers. OK I will be living in the States but imagine a European tourist going to see a Broadway show as the highlight of their New York visit. From the other point of view - the musicians themselves - I can imagine some of them have worked extremely hard to get where they are but now they might be replaced by pre-recorded music. Disgusting. If attendances and profits are a problem, why dont the suits realize that lowering the prices will result in higher attendance and therefore more money spent on refreshments & merchandise? John Scotsman

Archived