Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Truly Unbelivable!!! Check this out......

This is an unbelivable thing - Ofer Springer, a jewish student at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, has discovered a way to actually scan vinyl discs and to turn the scanned grooves into .wav or .mp3 files. That is off the hook, man! Way to go bro! http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~springer/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. But I don't seem to grasp the concept he was explaining. The way I understand it: He scans a record. He "zooms" it in a photo editor. He then has a program he wrote identify the grooves on the picture and spit it out as audio. Is this correct? That would indeed be cool.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

I had toread that a second time! I first thought it wa one of those *joke* things about someone figuring out what a vinyl record was. But, here is a quote off the page... [quote] Once the image was ready, writing the decoder was very simple. All it did was rotate a "needle" around a given center at some predefined angular velocity,... [/quote]OK, that would more exciting than the needle-in-the-groove technique I currently use. But, I'd need to buy an oversized scanner to capture the whole record :p The laser turntable is still out of my pocket book. Thanks for the URL, Soundscape!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Yeah, I remember reading about that about a year ago, when the technology was first getting off of the ground. That's why it really made me sick when they had the Library Of Congress Audio Archiving special on the History Channel a few months back. When the acetate discs get cracks, they consider them worthless and throw the discs away. It's obvious that with a scan technology like this, the peices could just be fit together and scanned for archival purposes. But all of those discs that have been thrown away will never be retrieved.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived