Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Japanese jazz transcriptions

J_tour

I've seen some incredible stuff from Japanese publishers relevant to keyboard playing. For example, about a million 2-handed transcriptions of Herbie's funk stuff, not to mention the luxurious Miles Davis collections which include the occasional Wynton Kelly solo.

What's the best way to find copies of some of these texts in non-Japanese lands? How would one find even a basic list of what's available from Japanese publishers?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Japanese transcriptions of the Keith Jarrett "Standards Trio, Vol. 1 & 2" , plus the Bill Evans solo transcriptions, Oscar Peterson trio, Herbie Hancock, Joe Sample, etc.

They are VERY accurate, more so than what's in the U.S.

I don't think they export it, we buy them in Tokyo.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I think you mistook the personal pronoun "I" for "we," jazz. But, yes, in general the way people purchase Japanese goods is by travelling to Japan and exchanging cash for the goods -- that's where some of my own copies of such transcriptions came from.

Although, I'm not sure it's so much the accuracy as the completeness of the Japanese texts that's so interesting, at least to me. To be fair, I do find them a bit more trustworthy, but only after obsessive double-checking of the scores.

The bibliographical question is, I think the most interesting one. It's surprising how little Western-language information there is on these little treasures.

Archived