Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Anyone Using KONTAKT Yet??

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best sampler Iv'e used to date.Don't have to convert anything unless I want to in their format,just point the browser toward any sound file or sample format and play away.Creating sample instruments is a breeze,just point the browser to where your samples are,drag one in the sample creation area,hold your mouse and draw the range,then on to the next and when your finished simply save as an instrument,of course there's looping and other features in that proccess if you want.Plenty of filters(ASDR ect.),effects(reveb/chourus ect.) are ok(could be a little better).Works as an instrument right in Sonar,so I can stream to wav. right in the program,works as standalone app as well.Downside?I havent installed the streaming update because my samples aren't of the Garritom size,plus I hear it eats more CPU,but it seems to work well(streaming) from what I hear.All in all I love it.My poor old ESI hasn't been turned on since I got Giga a few years ago,now it's all over for that poor fella since I now have Kontakt.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Oh,almost forgot,unlike other softsampler plugins, I can load as many sample modules as I want and assign them whatever midi channel I want(great for stacking).That was something missing from Sampletank for instance.One other small negative though,the last update I installed,caused a problem reading Akai CD's directly when there was no problem before,but that'll probably be fixed in the next update if it hasn't already(haven't checked NI).Of course any problems I'm mentioning might be on the PC side and not neccessarily Mac as I'm sure each platform might have there own unique problems if any.From what Iv'e seen though,all versions seem to be indentical GUI and feature-wise.

Alndln - coupla questions if you know re: Kontakt - does it read Kurzweil format files? - when you load up files does Kontakt preserve the looping and other attributes of the file? Or does it just strip the file down to the waveform and you have to build the attributes back in? M Peasley

I use Tidycat. Fresh as a daisy, and NO dust (so important to the little ones)!

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

Alndln, Thanks for your feedback. KONTAKT came yesterday, but I spent the whole night last night combing the NI site and forums for research, so I haven't actually used it yet. I did mess with the demo version a bit though. Renie Coffey tells me its MIDI capabilites are good, which is good since I'm kinda MIDI-illiterate. I got it more for morphing existing samples and audio, rather than actually playing through it with a keyboard controller (which seemed kinda complicated to me). I'll experiment more with it tonight and post some feedback later.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Curve, baby, it should be as easy as any othersoft synth/sampler. Most of these programs are made to be controlled by an external midi device, so I bet it's a piece of cake with a Mac. Kontact runs as a VST under your Pro Tools rig, right? Also, if you are into Morphing sounds and stuff, check out OhmBoys QuadFromage. There is a free stand alone to demo, and it's right up your ally, I bet. Can anyone tell me what advantage Kontact might have over a program like VSampler, which is several hundred less. They seem to have most of the same features.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote][b]Can anyone tell me what advantage Kontact might have over a program like VSampler, which is several hundred less. They seem to have most of the same features.[/b][/quote]Sylver, Kontakt has some hallucinagenic FX capabilities, and comes with a massive and awesome sounding sample library. [quote][b]Also, if you are into Morphing sounds and stuff, check out OhmBoys QuadFromage. There is a free stand alone to demo, and it's right up your ally, I bet.[/b][/quote]I have Frohmage! Love it. OhmForce has a new plug called Predatohm that looks pretty dope. [quote][b]Curve, baby, it should be as easy as any othersoft synth/sampler. Most of these programs are made to be controlled by an external midi device, so I bet it's a piece of cake with a Mac.[/b][/quote]Dude, if you have experience with that, can you call me? The only time I ever used MIDI was for machine control and sync, so I'm a little baffled how to go about this. Thanks! And say hi to the wife and kids for me...

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]Dude, if you have experience with that, can you call me? The only time I ever used MIDI was for machine control and sync, so I'm a little baffled how to go about this. Thanks! And say hi to the wife and kids for me...[/b][/quote]There's really not much to deal with midi wise using Kontakt in standalone mode,but I'm not familiar with Pro Tools protocol for using softsynths/samplers as an instrument within the program.Is that your problem?

[quote][b]There's really not much to deal with midi wise using Kontakt in standalone mode,but I'm not familiar with Pro Tools protocol for using softsynths/samplers as an instrument within the program.Is that your problem?[/b][/quote]Alndln, No, actually. The method of using Kontakt within Pro Tools via DirectConnect is pretty clear-cut. It's getting a MIDI controller connected to Kontakt. I'm not sure how I'm gonna implement that yet.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

In stand-alone mode,under hardware preferences you should be able to choose your midi hardware(I/0).After that,when you load a sample,on the sample module itself you can choose whatever midi channel you want it to respond to.After that,it's whatever the PT/Direct Connect protocol calls for.

Archived