Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody have Reaktor 5 yet?

sleepyvillain

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, some of the ensemble and instrument upgrades/additions are probably worth the upgrade price by themselves. Add in the ability to control even lower-level aspects...I'm having a hard time imagining what you can't do, musically, with it. The multi-breakpoint envelopes aren't quite as nice as Abysnth's, but they're a very welcome addition.

The biggest draw back: I'm taking way too much time playing with it 'cuz it's so damn much fun.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

It literally gives you the tools to do your own circuit design in software. If you're willing to spend the time learning about electronic music down to the level of understanding how to build a filter, oscillator, delay, wavetable for digital synthesis from the mathematical formulae on up, this'll put you in seventh heaven (unless you're already a MAX/MSP addict, and I think using these building blocks is more fun).

:)

• 5 months later...

OK, I can get Reaktor 5 from an authorized dealer for $300.00, or I could get the next-door 4th-grader to fax in her ID and get it for $250.00.

So now I have a few questions.

Would it be better to run it on a standalone PC or Mac. More specifically, how much horsepower does this thing take?

And I looked at a few third party ensembles and UI wise, they look horrible. Is there a good repository of ensembles out there somewhere that I could buy?

"For instance" is not proof.

Not surprisingly, the amount of CPU it swallows depends on which ensemble(s) you're using, as some don't take much at all...others can be hogs. FWIW, I'm running it with Logic 7.1.1 on dual 2.5 PowerMac G5 without issues (although it can sometimes ping up to 50-60 percent of one of the processors if I'm having it do cartwheels). But, then, that's what freeze tracks is all about.

IMO, fancy UI is not it's strong suit, although some of the ensembles can be interesting. Most everything can be automated, though, which is more important from my end.

I just read about some ensembles from Musicrow (but know nothing about them). You can check them out here .

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Archived