Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I assign B3 module to just part of my keyboard

MIDIdiot

Not sure if this is possible. I midi out my M1 to control EMU B3 module. Is it possible to have the B3 assigned to just, say, the upper octaves? I do this all the time of course with the M1's combination mode (multi mode allows assigning patches to different parts of the keyboard). I'm just not sure if somehow I can use this functionality with the M1 controlling the B3 module. Any help with this obviously tremendously appreciated. I've got a gig next week and it would simplify things for me. Thanks for reading!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never played the M1 but I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to do that (split the keyboard and assign those zones to different midi out channels). I'm sure someone will be able to specifically tell you how to do that.
Yamis

Although I haven't used my M1 in a while, I don't believe it can do a midi split, only splits using the internal M1 voices.

If you put the b3 module on a different midi channel, and had it respond to only certain keys, would that work for you?

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Thanks for your replies. I guess having posted right about the time the news came out about Ray, I shouldn't have expected much. It's hard to believe he's no longer with us, he seemingly never aged, he's always been there.The world is sure lucky to have his great music live on forever.

Last night I discovered a simple if partial answer to my issue. The presets on B3 unit can be assigned note ranges - this is the good news. The bad news is I used the damper pedal for the piano I assigned to the left side of M1, where no B3 sound should be coming from and suddenly I'm hearing the modulated B3! Damn! MIDI can be so damn convoluted or maybe just in the M1 era. I tried disabling control changes and yes, that allowed me to use the damper pedal normally. The bad news is this also disables the mod joystick. Any other help would be appreciated, I'm not sure I'

m taking the right approach. Thanks again.

can anyone please tell me the difference between the MIDI modes, omni, poly, multi? For that matter, I could probably use a MIDI 101 read, anyone know where to find some good reading material of MIDI essentials? One more thing, anyone EMU B3 owners around that understand the deal with how the midi channels work. It seems, that the presets are assigned to channels. It's got me confused big time!

Archived