Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#780299 - 06/15/05 11:00 AM kick drum mic placement
MK1 Offline

Loc: London
i read in an old copy of Drummers world that ideally it should be placed around 6 inches from beater head and slightly off centre
Any Thoughts!!

#780300 - 06/15/05 12:48 PM Re: kick drum mic placement
deathdrummer Offline

Loc: computer
Dintance depends...

My bass is slightly quiet (loud enough to hear) but if the other drums are amped, then my bass wouldn't be heard (obviousely) but i would give it 2-3 inches, that also depends on sensitivity of the mic. Now, slightly off center is correct \:\)

------------------
I know these people, they serve me food from McDonalds \:\)

#780301 - 06/15/05 11:04 PM Re: kick drum mic placement
Jazzman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Commerce Twp, MI,USA
MK1, my set-up is exactly the way you have stated. I also have a small blanket inside the bass drum on the bottom to help with some reverberation and possible overlaping of the sound to the next beat.

The further back you place the mic in the drum the more low end should be present. The closer you are to the drum and beater, the less bass drum you should hear, to a point.

I was going to try out having a mic set up on the beater outside the drum and one inside the drum as you have stated.

Kicking the mic on an angle helps reduce the direct sound pressure head on to the mic and provides added depth and body that you want to amplify with the mic.

Just my thoughts.

Jazzman

#780302 - 06/16/05 07:20 AM Re: kick drum mic placement
MK1 Offline

Loc: London
thanks jazzman, i will experiment but i have always had this set up what mic do you use i have a D112 with a may internal mic bracket old school but great fat sound for live work

DD you said that your kick is quiet??
this should be the biggest sound on the kit especially for metal/rock?
what mic are you using?

#780303 - 06/16/05 04:01 PM Re: kick drum mic placement
deathdrummer Offline

Loc: computer
Hmmmmmmmmmm, that's something to think about, i never really had problems with my mic placement, so I guess THANKS from me tooooooooo!!! \:D

--------------------
I know these people, they serve me food from McDonalds \:\)