Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am confused! I saw part of the Woody Allen movie "Sweet and Lowdown" about the life of Emmet Ray, a guitar virtuoso during the swing era. I saw it on IFC, and they had commentaries of Allen and several Jazz historians sprinkled throughout the film. I have never heard of Emmet Ray, which surprised me as an afficionado of jazz guitar. So I go on the internet to do some research at allmusic.com, and he's not listed. I go to the website of the film [url=http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/sweetandlowdown/frames.html]Sweet And Lowdown[/url] and it says it is a fictional character, but at the same time they list a discography of Emmet Ray with stuff he recorded for RCA Victor. Plus the commentaries during the film make him seem like a person who existed. It makes no sense! Anybody here knows about Emmet Ray? Please enlighten me!
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think the movie website is doing what a lot of them do... helping market the movie by establishing a fictional universe in which it takes place either. On the [i]Minority Report[/i] site, for example, they had a whole interactive java promo for that Lexus autopilot car thing. I like these... I think they're fun. Who knows, maybe you can actually get the "recordings" the soundtrack of the movie is certainly worth having.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Thanks, Steve. But I'm still confused: Did Emmet Ray exist or not? I found very little information on the web about him, and everything I did find was refering to the film. Maybe he did exist but the story of the movie is made up. Who knows?
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Archived