Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When slack band leaders attack!!

Bass_in_August

Hey guys,

Had an intresting experiance last night, I was asked to play for a guys assessment for uni/college and part of the criterea for the assesment was that he plan practices and make sure we knew what was going...... He did'nt and as a result we looked like fools.

So my question to you guys is when have you been made to look like a clown on stage as a result of bad planning on the part of the band leader?

James

Play it once it's a mistake, play it twice and its Jazz

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage a "coup de etat" and depose the band leader.

All kidding aside, I'd say, give him one more chance, then, if he bags on you again, have a band pow-wow and give him the old "vote of no confidence". . .

I could go on a while. . .Been made an ass of a few more times than I'd like, and, well, I have short tolerance for crap like that.

Just my two cents. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Originally posted by Bass_in_August:

So my question to you guys is when have you been made to look like a clown on stage as a result of bad planning on the part of the band leader?

At nearly every gig I have played in my whole life.
:D
unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

I was asked to play for a guys assessment for uni/college and part of the criterea for the assesment was that he plan practices and make sure we knew what was going...... He did'nt and as a result we looked like fools.

Well, I hope his grading reflected your performance.

ATM

I was once called down by the singer in the middle of a set. He chose to address me over the PA and told the crowd that it was me making him look bad.

There had only been one rehearsal the day before the gig. The singer walked in, handed us a set list and counted off the first song. After about 12 or so bars he would stop the song, tell us what we were doing wrong and move on to the next one. About a 25 song set; practice one hour.

Tried my best to listen to those oldies and catch the grooves. I was much less experienced then. So while the notes that I played fit the chord structure, some of the grooves were not what he was used to hearing. He got madder and madder as the set drug on. I thought we sounded fine, and the crowd was dancing. Finally he saw fit to call me down in front of everyone. And , boy, did he let me have it. Told me (and everyone else) that I was "ruining his show and making him look bad". "The job of the bass, drums and rhythym guitar are to make the singer look good".

And so forth and so on...

I finished the set took my pay and left.

He called me a week later and asked if I had been practicing and if I would cover another show for him. He was very politely told to go and f**k himself.

After that incident, he had to go at least fifty miles in any direction to find anyone willing to play with him.

God loves a bass player.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

About the same thing that happened to BG happened to me in 84. Had been playing about 5 yrs at the time. Newly formed old local band, no rehearsal, just lousy copies on cassette where you can't even hear the bass. You know the ones? No time to learn 30 songs.

Dude was drummer and lead singer of a R&R/soul band. When I made a chord change in the wrong place once he screamed "NOOO, NOOO" at no one in particular. We were all at a loss and the song fell apart. This guy was known as a "long time local pro". Had he been truly professional he could have rode it out, but NOOOO!

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Haha and here I thought I may have been the only one. :freak:

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

The closest I've experienced is Jeremy's sentiment (yet again -- were we twins separated at birth?) ;) Despite the miniscule number of my performances compared to his, the times when I've sat in cold for a song I've usually been given a half a set instead. No meltdowns (yet), but probably shades of a big round red nose and flipper-sized feet. ;)

On another note ... (ba-dum-CRASH!) ;)

One time my g****r-friend and I were auditioning drummers. The drummer was in another band and offered to audition for us (and us for him) at an open mic he frequented. Little blues place. Well, my friend brings his Marshall half stack into this little place and the drummer and his friend on keys complain in-song and afterwards that the g****r is too loud (rightfully so). (You had two guys playing a blues and g****r playing balls-to-the-wall blues-based rock so it wasn't gelling; I was sitting on the fence.) On the next song, g****r turned down (ever so slightly). :rolleyes: The mix was so thick that I layed out for a verse and played more sparsely for some contrast, at which point the keys player freaked out and put his left hand into gear. The whole thing was quite comical to me, with the . Needless to say, the audition was mutually a "no" for both parties.

Sorry, just realized my stories had nothing to do with a band leader. :(

Quite a few times. What's tricky is that I'm known for being a clown onstage (everyone needs an onstage persona) so I have to let people know when my antics were intentional or the result of someone else's bad planning.

Once my reaction to a particularly demaning band leader was to stop by the kitchen and select a particularly large cucumber to put inside my pants. (didn't crack a smile, played as if nothing unusual was afoot... :D )

I approve of the rule to remain professional, go with the flow, get paid and then leave for better bands. The cucumber or other "instrument" should be held as a last resort...

:wave:

Glad others stuff up too. Now I don't feel so bad about once handing the keyboard player (who had just driven for 5 hours, and turned up after the first few songs) music in the wrong key for the 3rd song after he showed up...no one else played, just keys and drums. We had practiced a bit but this one song, in the wrong key, managed to get into my folder -- he saw it and thought he'd brought the wrong music. So he grabbed my music, played a few "jazz" chords and started.

Since then I've handed key changes by pianist about every second week at church (5 to 10 minutes before we start) -- there must be a keyboard players club somewhere!

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

Once my reaction to a particularly demaning band leader was to stop by the kitchen and select a particularly large cucumber to put inside my pants. (didn't crack a smile, played as if nothing unusual was afoot... :D )

I approve of the rule to remain professional, go with the flow, get paid and then leave for better bands. The cucumber or other "instrument" should be held as a last resort...

:wave:

Just one question: Did you wrap it in aluminum foil first?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/atmofmn/Bass/cuke.jpg

;)

ATM

Archived