Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Licenses

ATM

I am licensed to:

Drive a car

Drive a motorcycle

Fly single engine aircraft

Fly multi-engine aircraft

and I got the results in the mail just minutes ago...

I am now licensed to operate a Drinking Water Plant in the State of Florida! Class C license, now comes a pay raise retro to August 26th, when I took the test.

Yes, I'm pumped! (pun wasn't originally intended)

So, that's my news for today. Anybody else have interesting licenses?

ATM

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats ATM !! That's a tough test, from what I hear.

Are you going to continue for your B and A licenses... or get a dual C (B or A) in Wastewater?

Are you a member of the FWPCOA?

[i'm not a licensed Operator, but I do hold certs in FDOH/FDEP and NELAC for Micro/WetChemistry/Field Analysis... our equivilant.]

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I was not even aware that there was such a test/license! Upon hearing about this and thinking about it, it makes perfect sense.

Congrats, man!

I have no interesting licenses. I have all sorts of geeky certifications, but no licenses.

Congratulations ATM! There's a nice piece of mind that comes from this... certainly wouldn't want anyone unqualified preparing drinking water.

Once upon a time I had a Tote 'n Chit, but I have to assume there's a penalty for one who gets his thumb in the path of a table saw blade. :mad:

- Matt W.

Planning on going on for my B and A, but I try to avoid the wastewater side of things. The city handles that anyway. I believe that once upon achieving the C, you are automatically placed into some statewide association, don't recall which one, so I'll let you know.

You know, I never got the Tote 'n Chit, but considering how we were, we probably wouldn't have had it for very long anyway. Didn't stop me from getting Eagle. ;) As an ASM, I try not to pass along my old bad habits.

ATM

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I was not even aware that there was such a test/license! Upon hearing about this and thinking about it, it makes perfect sense.

Hey Bump - ATM didn't say it (modest son-of-gun that he is), but the licensing procedure is extensive. What he was tested for goes well beyond simple procedures and technique.

While he does all that he can to provide the best drinking water his system can provide, we LabRats test to insure that his plant's equipment is doing all that it was designed to do.

In my case, that's providing safe drinking water to nearly a half million people. But, regardless of Utility size and scope, it's up to the operators (and thanks to their training) to do what is neccesary to provide that quality water.

We are simply the cops - they (the operators) are the folks who do the hard work.

Again - Congrats ATM, and Thanks.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Thanks guys,

What Jim didn't say (bassist extraordinaire that he is) is that there are several different ways of treating drinking water. My plant uses Reverse Osmosis, which the state test barely covers, although that is what most water plants are either going to, or are being built as. So we have to learn several other processes and lab procedures that we never have to use, or will ever see or do in person. That's the fun part. :rolleyes: Prior to this, we have to pass an accepted college course (correspondense is OK) and have one year's experience on the job.

Of course, all operators are given background checks and drug tests. Can't have a hopped up bin Laden at the controls, now can we? :D

ATM

Well, what about state certification and professional memberships?

I hold a lifetime provisional teaching certificate in Texas. You can actually see it by searching Here. And my middle initial is E. There are several, mine is the one in All Level Music.

I also am an active member of Texas Music Adjudictor's Association. We are the only organization specified in Texas Law to judge Official music contests.

Fortunately, I am not listed on any state's list of convicted felons, so far as I know. I can't remember the last time I committed a felony.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Way to go ATM!

I used to have a beaver hunting license... http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publications/lifeseries/beavers.jpg

But my wife revoked it.

I'm sorry...I really am. :rolleyes:

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I am a licensed minister.

I went down to San Diego with my fiancée last weekend and picked up a marriage license.

My father is licensed to fly or drive pretty much anything. He was the oldest boy on the ranch, so he was driving the hay truck before he was enrolled in kindergarten, and the tractor before he hit double-digit age. He's operated mining machinery that is larger than his house, and if it digs, scoops, burrows, mucks, or plows, he can drive it. Nowadays he's in private aviation and is specifically certified on probably a dozen different types of jets. He's also licensed to practice real estate in a couple of states, has a big stack of business licenses, and to top it all off, is an ordained minister as well.

I guess he's probably got a pretty fat wallet keeping all of those licenses in there.

Archived