Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MS Palladium and digital rights management

Palladium is a code name for a set of security "features" in an upcoming version of Windows (as described [url=http://www.didw.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=74&mode=&order=0]here[/url] )... The most relevant thing as it applies to music is the fact that digital rights management hardware is going to be required to run these features. :freak: So... If the record industry hasn't totally evaporated when this comes out, they (and the movie industry) will get the content control they desire. Here's a [url=http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/tcpa-faq.html]FAQ[/url] about the proposed digital rights management in Palladium... I'm sure others can post other links to Palladium information. Comments? Opinions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by posterchild: [b] Comments? Opinions?[/b][/quote]Linux looks quite nice but I think I'll buy a Mac. Maybe I'll just get a cracked version instead?
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I've been considering moving out of the M$ platform altogether over the next few years, and getting into Linux. This just nailed down my decision. I'm going to become a Linux programmer and avoid M$ like the plague. MS has been so draconian and so out of touch in recent years that there is just no point to sticking with them. And I'm not so sure the Mac OS won't follow suit. If enough developers become committed to making Linux safe for the desktop user, and consumers get wind that they can have a computer that doesn't try to run their lives for them, it will be the wave of the future... and both of those things are already happening. --Lee

FYI, I went back and edited my original post... Originally I had said that Palladium will break compatability with almost all Windows apps... That's incorrect. What I had read was that "Longhorn" (the next *big* revision of Windows, not due for at least another 5 years) is supposed to break compatability with most Windows apps. There's more information on Palladium [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51780-2002Jun26.html]here[/url] . Lee, I'm also a Windows programmer, and I use Windows at home, and I would [i]like[/i] to move over to Linux, but the software I want just isn't there. Especially not for music making stuff. (Although I think my Delta 1010 has Linux drivers... Go figure!) If everything is going in the direction of an OS that really clamps down on what you can do with it, I'd probably just stick with an older computer/OS that does what I need it to do. I'd jump ship if I could, but it's one of those deals where the market pretty much determines which system I program or record on, not the other way around.

Yeah, but there's starting to be a pretty good market for Linux programmers, because most critical servers these days run on Linux or or some other flavor of UNIX. There's a program called Audacity which is a cross platform, open source multitrack recorder/editor, and runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. It's not QUITE there yet but I think it will be, it's pretty cool actually... and I would bet that at least one of the major DAW software companies will port their program to Linux in the next couple of years. And yeah, most sound cards already have Linux drivers. Just about everything else people normally use computers for - email, web browsing, databases, word processing, etc. - already has excellent Linux applications. They are still a bit short in the graphics/CAD arenas, but that will probably change too. I'm not a gamer but I've heard there aren't many good Linux games... but again, no reason there can't be if there's enough of a groundswell. You could say the market drives what we programmers do, but it's actually programmers who've created what has become a sizable Linux market already. I think if we keep doing that, the scales will tip at some point. I'll bet even the hardware manufacturers are fed up with M$'s OEM deals. --Lee

Oh by the way, here's the link to download and learn more about Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ It really is a very cool, easy to use, intuitive program, and it supports VST too. And, since it's open source, if you're a programmer you can tweak it to your liking and/or participate in its future development. --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Oh by the way, here's the link to download and learn more about Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ [/b][/quote]Looks cool! I'd give it a try if I wasn't already satisfied with the tools I'm using now. But I could see this turning into something really good if they built in a mixer, automation, and basic MIDI abilities.

Archived