Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Studio monitoring recommendation

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust SOS way more than Gearslutz

overstating the obvious :D

Continuing on that trajectory... I've encountered a handful (maybe a few more) of really knowledgeable and decent people on GS including manufacturing reps. Same with KVR and MW. They provide info and insight that isn't available here or elsewhere, especially related to technical synth stuff. But you often have to read through a lot of noise to get to them. Or if you're lucky they make an early appearance and you can get what you're after quickly.

I rarely post on those forums but when I do it's quickly in and out. It was only a couple of months ago I discovered how truly toxic KVR is. Too bad.

I trust SOS way more than Gearslutz; they have editorial standards that are fairly tight and reliable.

QFT

But,- no one talks about if he can trust his ears at all.

I´d say it´s all about ear training vs. aging,- no ?

Today, all studio monitors I own are better than my ears and even most of the headphones are too.

A.C.

It was only a couple of months ago I discovered how truly toxic KVR is. Too bad.

That's a forum-by-forum thing. I never bother with anything on KVR except the Roger Linn Instruments forum, which is tightly moderated by Roger himself and is THE place for LinnStrument users, with fast responses, great help, and a very worthwhile community. Nothing else, though. Too many I-know-more-than-you kids...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I trust SOS way more than Gearslutz; they have editorial standards that are fairly tight and reliable.

QFT

But,- no one talks about if he can trust his ears at all.

I´d say it´s all about ear training vs. aging,- no ?

Today, all studio monitors I own are better than my ears and even most of the headphones are too.

A.C.

This is one of those things that never gets talked about anywhere that I have seen. No one wants to admit that their hearing doesn't go all the way out to 20kHz, and that what is there isn't flat. If you're lucky, you get told what to listen for and what to enjoy/beware of, and that guides you.

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

One question, though. Can you cite a source that says diffusion on the back wall is bad in a small room? I have firsthand evidence from a fair number of cramped studios that diffusion can help quite a bit, and certainly doesn't hurt...

To follow up on the "diffusion - good or bad" discussion that popped up here. Note the inclusion of small rooms in the talk:

The AES Chicago section is presenting a (virtual, of course) program about diffusion in an acoustic environment. It's next week, Tuesday December 15, at 2 PM Eastern time [the presenter, Jamie Angus, Professor of Audio Technology, Salford University. is in England where that's a sensible hour]. The presentation is free, but you need to register for it. Click here for details and the registration link (Eventbrite).

Here's an edited summary of what's on the plate:

We all like to have good acoustics in our rooms. One aspect of that is creating a diffuse field for the reverberation part of the room's impulse response. In small rooms this is even more important because we are usually in the region where the reverberant field dominates our acoustic experience. This talk will discuss how we can treat our acoustic spaces to achieve good diffusion. Or how we can make acoustic 'matt" paint? We will discuss how surfaces scatter and then present the principles behind the design of optimum diffusion structures. We will then discuss how we can make them work in practice and overcome some of the difficulties reality can impose.

Finally, we will look at some applications and ways of achieving good diffusion within ordinary spaces and discover why, acoustically speaking, our rooms should be like "Bonsai Bolometers" for diffusing those Christmas number ones!

One question, though. Can you cite a source that says diffusion on the back wall is bad in a small room? I have firsthand evidence from a fair number of cramped studios that diffusion can help quite a bit, and certainly doesn't hurt...

To follow up on the "diffusion - good or bad" discussion that popped up here. Note the inclusion of small rooms in the talk:

The AES Chicago section is presenting a (virtual, of course) program about diffusion in an acoustic environment. It's next week, Tuesday December 15, at 2 PM Eastern time [the presenter, Jamie Angus, Professor of Audio Technology, Salford University. is in England where that's a sensible hour]. The presentation is free, but you need to register for it. Click here for details and the registration link (Eventbrite).

Here's an edited summary of what's on the plate:

We all like to have good acoustics in our rooms. One aspect of that is creating a diffuse field for the reverberation part of the room's impulse response. In small rooms this is even more important because we are usually in the region where the reverberant field dominates our acoustic experience. This talk will discuss how we can treat our acoustic spaces to achieve good diffusion. Or how we can make acoustic 'matt" paint? We will discuss how surfaces scatter and then present the principles behind the design of optimum diffusion structures. We will then discuss how we can make them work in practice and overcome some of the difficulties reality can impose.

Finally, we will look at some applications and ways of achieving good diffusion within ordinary spaces and discover why, acoustically speaking, our rooms should be like "Bonsai Bolometers" for diffusing those Christmas number ones!

This is fabulous news, Mike! Thanks so much for sharing it. I've been staying away from most of the AES stuff online because of membership restrictions and/or registration costs, so this is a real find.

Or it would be if your registration link worked. :D

[This is fabulous news, Mike! Thanks so much for sharing it. I've been staying away from most of the AES stuff online because of membership restrictions and/or registration costs, so this is a real find.

Or it would be if your registration link worked. :D

Try

here

I edited the link in my original post. Hope that keeps working, too, and that thousands will flock to their computer screens only to be flung hither and yon by the emission of diffusion.

Apparently they had 100 slots, and thanks to the AES listing it in their weekly newsletter, they filled up quickly. Then some opened up so registration was available again, but I don't know for how long. One trouble with these virtual events that are open to anyone is that, like a live facility, a virtual one can get filled up, too - and the participants don't have the limiting factor of travel to deal with