Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Schulmerich Carillon Bell Chime

Disclaimer, this is not mine and I do not know the owner. I'm not trying to sell it or buy it, I am posting this as an interesting piece of vintage gear that I have never heard of before. Apparently it has a companion keyboard controller, hence the choice of forum.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/msg/d/bellingham-vintage-schulmerich-carillon/7242107864.html

It looks crazy cool. Well beyond my level in terms of trouble-shooting and restoring but it's pretty Neat-O!!!! :laugh:

Fell free to say anything or everything, this is a random show and tell sort of thread. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating! I wonder if any VI efforts have addressed this. Given that it's from the 50's and utilizes a rack reel-to-reel unit it would probably be more a collector item.

I have a warm memory of the Carillon from Radio Netherland's Station Theme

[video:youtube]

And as well as from Iowa State University Carillonneur Richard von Grabow in my undergrad days.

Iowa State Carillonneurs

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Beautiful stuff, I love the sound.

I have no idea what the contraption I posted in the OP sounds like but it appears to be 100% analog and all tube amplification so it's probably capable of some interesting music.

I'd never heard of it, still haven't googled it. I guess I should check YouTube, maybe there is something on there (off to check)...

I worked on a bunch of Maas-Rowe Carillon attachments back in the days when electronic church organs were popular. Always amazed me that they could get a realistic sound out of a little cabinet with hanging tubes inside, then electronic amplification. They usually had a small keyboard that attached to the main organ.

That unit is another thing, probably was quite expensive in the day (of course, nowhere as much as the mechanical Real Thing)

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I worked on a bunch of Maas-Rowe Carillon attachments back in the days when electronic church organs were popular. Always amazed me that they could get a realistic sound out of a little cabinet with hanging tubes inside, then electronic amplification. They usually had a small keyboard that attached to the main organ.

That unit is another thing, probably was quite expensive in the day (of course, nowhere as much as the mechanical Real Thing)

Thanks, good to hear from a member who can comment on what this mighty contraption actually is and sound like!!!

I'd love to have it but would never get around to having it fixed.

Maybe if I am lucky, a friend will end up with it and I can go over there and track something.