Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Upload audio to YouTube

Not sure about this one, kinda confusing options, esp since there is YouTube, for everyone, and there is YouTube Music, which has options for uploading music for personal use.

What I've understood so far is that you need to convert audio files to a video format, like MP4 or .MOV.

OK, but I'm wondering if there are ways of directly uploading to YouTube using MP3 files or FLAC files.

If I am forced to convert to a video format like MP4 or .MOV, are there recommended converters? I do a lot of recording to FLAC files and would like to keep the audio quality up there.

Thanks,

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you DON"T want to do is allow YouTube (or Facebook or anybody) use their own codec to convert/reduce your files to their size requirements.

You will be better off to manage the conversion yourself.

That's about all I know, hopefully others will chime in with experiece using convertors.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

IMHO your best option is to use an inexpensive or free home video editor. Pick some image to use for the video portion. Drop it in for the video track, and drop your audio in for the audio track, and save it as an .mp4.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

IMHO your best option is to use an inexpensive or free home video editor. Pick some image to use for the video portion. Drop it in for the video track, and drop your audio in for the audio track, and save it as an .mp4.

Caveat, only done it a few times and it's been a while. But this is exactly what I did. Create an HD video--at the time I read that HD caused youtube to not crunch the audio up-- consisting of a still image and add an audio track--I used iMovie on mac and I don't recall it being too difficult. The one time I tried to replace audio on a band video I discovered that iMovie would not allow you to "nudge" audio with a fine enough increment (I needed Premiere or some other pro tool.) I ended up adding the exact amount of silence to the audio track in Logic to make it sync up.

Video is something I just haven't really dived into. Doing the band thing was technically challenging, I had more fun taking a little tune I wrote and making it the "soundtrack" to a fishing video I did with my little go-pro knockoff :) So simple even a caveman can do it!

[video:youtube]

Wow, beautifully shot video and enjoyed the personalized soundtrack!

MOV is an MP4 format in a different wrapper.

The best Video Editing software available for PC and Mac is Da Vinci Resolve by Black Magic Design, the free version edits up to 4k video and has MP4 output presets include ones for Youtube.

I tend to produce 720p video for my own uploads.

I have been editing video for near on thirty years and used all types of editing software and rate Resolve very highly.

Col

What I'm using for my weekly class is VSDC free video editor. Right now, I record the audio using GarageBand and my Focusrite 18i8 with an AKG P210 condenser mic; bounce that to an MP3 file, put that in iCloud Files. Then, on the PC, I fire up the editor, import the audio track, and then put one or more still JPG pictures in a second track in the editor. I did briefly try iMovie (to keep all on the Mac), but VSDC gave me less trouble getting what I want with minimum effort. Then, I render to video in MP4 or AVI. I have been doing this in standard definition for smallest file size, because this is all spoken voice so super quality isn't needed. If I do something with more needs in the future, I'll be sure to use HD and MP4 output.

I should soon have a Zoom H1n, and will start using that to capture the audio (either alone or possibly in the physical class once that resumes, although that will likely mean additional editing.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Most xclnt! I already downloaded DaVinci and VSDC. With the VSCD I downloaded the audio converter, which I'm hoping will convert my FLAC and MP3 files to MP4.

Back in the early 90s I did a lot of graphic design for my then-wife who wrote a monthly newsletter. I get really obsessed with visuals, even more than audio (!), and would spend 3-4 unpaid days a month working non-stop in order to get the layout and graphics and fonts just so.

This was of course early days for computer graphic design. Bad timing to be pursuing that back then! I mostly used a Mac Classic, which was horribly slow and had a 9" screen monochrome screen!!!!

At some point I just lost it- having to be patient thru so many slow operations and screen refreshes, crashes and numerous computer problems!!! That was when I developed a real aversion to using computers!

So, long story short, I always appreciate user-friendly software. For my purposes, the most basic of programs would do. I'll probably just put a still photo in place and convert my hundreds and hundreds of music jam FLAC files straight to MP4.

Well, actually, I'll need at least basic audio editing- cut/paste/normalize/eq/fade-ins and outs/etc., for FLAC and MP3.

My Pa1000 is able to play MP3s and then record to MP3 as I play along with the imported recording. Love this kind of user-friendliness!!!

Well, actually, I'll need at least basic audio editing- cut/paste/normalize/eq/fade-ins and outs/etc., for FLAC and MP3.

My Pa1000 is able to play MP3s and then record to MP3 as I play along with the imported recording. Love this kind of user-friendliness!!!

You may find Waveform Free useful, the basic editing process is simple and the Export function will provide quality level options for exporting as MP3.

It might be an experiment importing FLAC files, I've never worked with them. If it works, everything else is there and the cost is zero.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

You may find Waveform Free useful, the basic editing process is simple and the Export function will provide quality level options for exporting as MP3.

It might be an experiment importing FLAC files, I've never worked with them. If it works, everything else is there and the cost is zero.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

Thanks!